Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Seasons

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Seasons

I'm not proposing this as a contest or challenge but I thought it would be interesting to see photographs of the same or nearly the same scene or location taken in two or more different seasons. I'll start with one scene I captured in SUMMER, FALL and WINTER to show what I mean.

Chuck

summer:

Seasons

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Re: Seasons

FALL:

Seasons

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

WINTER:

Seasons

Beautiful shots there, C, but I'm wondering why the winter shot is B&W. I guess I was just expecting snow or frost or something. :P

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by bleys View Post
    Beautiful shots there, C, but I'm wondering why the winter shot is B&W. I guess I was just expecting snow or frost or something. :P
    I would love to be there with snow on the ground and tree. When I was there and the winter colors were so muted that the image looks better in black and white. The location is too far away from where I usually live to run to it when it snows. I will be looking for an opportunity to be there with snow on the ground...it would certainly be a better winter shot.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    I would love to be there with snow on the ground and tree. When I was there and the winter colors were so muted that the image looks better in black and white. The location is too far away from where I usually live to run to it when it snows. I will be looking for an opportunity to be there with snow on the ground...it would certainly be a better winter shot.

Chuck
    Ahh, I see. There are lots of awesome places that are simply too far away for me to justify or get motivated to visit often. This is a case where I'd love to see the complete set of images, though. Are you planning a spring shot as well?

Btw, I love the composition. I could see something like this in a calendar or something.

Seems to me that the color saturation is a bit too high on the first to. Of course, I wasn't there so I'm just guessing.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by bleys View Post
    Ahh, I see. There are lots of awesome places that are simply too far away for me to justify or get motivated to visit often. This is a case where I'd love to see the complete set of images, though. Are you planning a spring shot as well?

Btw, I love the composition. I could see something like this in a calendar or something.
    If I can be there in the spring when the scene is sufficiently different from winter and summer I will go for it. The problem is that early spring still looks like winter and late spring looks a lot like summer. Perhaps there is a window between that has a classic spring look. It seems I can't drive by this tree without taking a picture so I may eventually get it.

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by RichMurphy View Post
    Seems to me that the color saturation is a bit too high on the first to. Of course, I wasn't there so I'm just guessing.
    Hi Rich...the color saturation is likely a little higher than in real life but my objective in taking a photo is seldom to replicate exactly what I see. I try to capture what is there and then take it to a more interesting, aesthetic or even dramatic level. It's a subjective process and involves tinkering with a number of parameters such as contrast, color, removing unwanted objects, etc. Some images need little or no tinkering, others benefit from more. All of these are HDR images and that often adds a bit of drama which I don't fight that much. I know my photography often makes purists squirm but when I work with a picture I'm not thinking so much about technical perfection as I am about what would look good hanging on a wall. I have a long way to go to reach technical perfection or optimum artistic interpretation but it's a fun ride to try to get there and I appreciate your observations.

Chuck

Real Name
    Pops

when I work with a picture I'm not thinking so much about technical perfection as I am about what would look good hanging on a wall.
    That, good sir, is the difference between an artist and a technician, as I tell my students. You and I have much in common in that trait.

That said, I come here to learn from those who go for technical "perfection" as that helps me get the "artistic" look I want in my photos without driving so many people nutzo. The photos and pictures I see here are marvelous from both the technical and the artistic viewpoint.

Pops

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    That, good sir, is the difference between an artist and a technician, as I tell my students. You and I have much in common in that trait.

That said, I come here to learn from those who go for technical "perfection" as that helps me get the "artistic" look I want in my photos without driving so many people nutzo. The photos and pictures I see here are marvelous from both the technical and the artistic viewpoint.

Pops
    Well said!

Chuck