Thread: D-5100 Back Button Focus

D-5100 Back Button Focus

I was wondering if this was typical? Sometimes after I focus using BBF and then maybe recompose and try to BBF again, the camera won't re-focus unless I half depress the shutter button first, then it will re-focus. FWIW, I have my shutter priority set to "Release" mode.

Any thoughts on why this is happening and is it normal?

Real Name
    Dan

Re: D-5100 Back Button Focus

I'm not familiar with the back button on the 5100. Is it an AF button or is it AE/AF-L button? If the latter, the -L stands for "lock". So it locks exposure and/or focus until you depress the shutter. In the higher end cameras you can customize the button function but as I said I'm not familiar with the 5100. Check the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I'm not familiar with the back button on the 5100. Is it an AF button or is it AE/AF-L button? If the latter, the -L stands for "lock". So it locks exposure and/or focus until you depress the shutter. In the higher end cameras you can customize the button function but as I said I'm not familiar with the 5100. Check the manual.
    It's an AE/AF-L button but I have it reassigned to "AF-On" to perform the back button focus option.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Hi Tommy,

Just tested my D5100. Set its AE/AF-L button to "AF-On".
    AFC- Priority to release.
    AF-A AF area mode - Single. ( same results with AF-C )

While holding down ""AF-On" button, it can continuously focus from near to far.
    When I focus on something and release the "AF-On" button, it can refocus again using
    the AF-On. But it won't focus even if I half-depress the shutter button.

HTH

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I think you need to be in AF-C (continuous) mode to get the behaviour you (and I) expect - I assume you are, but if not, try this first.

Beyond that ...
    Does the D5100 have a Custom menu option called "Focus tracking with Lock-on"? (it is a3 on D7100)
    It has Off (instant response) and 5 other steps between Short (1) and Long (5), this will insert a delay in refocusing when re-composing if not set to Off and it may even when re-pressing (the button set as) AF-ON.

EDIT: actually not too sure either of those is relevant

To rule out other causes; is the;
    light good?
    subject static?
    good contrasty edge?
    single focus point selected?