Thread: Canon 70D specs

Real Name
    Dave

Canon 70D specs

Hi,

from Canon Rumors. Of course, we've heard this before, so I won't hold my breath till July 2nd. Still......

Below is the spec list of the upcoming Canon EOS 70D.
    The new autofocus type we were told about appears to be the Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus. It works up to a claimed 5 times faster than previous EOS cameras in live view.
    Canon EOS 70D Specifications
    § 20.2mp CMOS Sensor
    § DIGIC 5+
    § 19pt AF System (All Cross Type)
    § 7fps
    § Built-in WiFi
    § 3″ Vari-Angle Touch Screen LCD
    § ISO 12,800 Maximum
    § Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus
    § Full HD Video
    § HDR
    § Multiexposure Mode
    § LP-E6 Battery
    § Announcement on July 2, 2013

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Canon 70D specs

I am sure that these specifications will interest some photograhers but, not me.

The reason that I purchased a second 7D camera is that I suspected, due to the track that Canon is following, that the sucessors to the 7D or 60D would have absolutely no interest for me.

Of course, this is only the expected replacement for the 60D, but I see absolutely nothing in it that would convince me to choose this camera over the 60D. In fact, since Canon seems to be putting all of their efforts into making this a better video camera at the expense of making it a better still camera, I might probably like this camera a lot less than I would like the 60D which is less than I liked the 40D and 50D.

I really like my 7D cameras but, Canon could heve made them a LOT BETTER STILL CAMERAS if the Canon Gods had provided a couple of extra bells and whistles such as;

1. auto-focus at f/8 (allowing AF with an f/5.6 lens and a 1.4x TC)
    2. ISO of 50 or even 25 (allowing slower shutter speeds without the need for an ND filter)
    3. Dual memory card slots
    4. Audio record capability to identify shots

I would have happily traded my 7D "print from camera" and "Raw + JPEG" buttons for any one of the above improvements. I know that the 1D (series) cameras have the above four capablities but, I carry two cameras when I shoot, and a pair of 1D cameras would be both too heavy and too expensive for my uses.

Real Name
    Dave

All fair points Richard, and I quite see where you are coming from.

However, as a 600d/T3i user considering an upgrade (and forgetting about $'s!) I can't see why I would choose a 60d over a 70d on the specs that we have so far. A side by side comparison suggests the mythical 70d wins every time, but maybe I'm missing something?

Some features have no appeal. I am not all interested in video - we have a perfectly good videocam for that. I haven't used a touch screen on a dslr, but on satnavs and phones they can be a curse as well as a blessing, because I am inclined to touch them when I don't mean to.

I will be interested to read the announcement when it comes,

Regards,

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Do I qualify as an ancient monument given that I still use a 40D ... and am very, very happy with it?

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    ... but I see absolutely nothing in it that would convince me to choose this camera over the 60D...
    Not even the fact that it looks like it has the 7D's AF system and increased the burst-rate? One of the main differentiations between the 7D and 60D was better fast-action capability. If the 19-pt AF spec isn't just wishful thinking for a cheap 7D, then it looks like the 1DX/5D3 AF tech may be trickling down into the 7DMkII (or whatever they call it), and the 60D inherits the 7D's old AF system.

Also, not sure that iso 50 or iso 25 is necessarily all that useful, given that Canon accomplishes the <100 iso settings with digital pulling, which reduces the dynamic range. iso 50 is rarely useful on my 5DMkII. From CiC's dynamic range tutorial:

Technical Note: In some digital cameras, there is an extended low ISO setting which produces less noise, but also decreases dynamic range. This is because the setting in effect overexposes the image by a full f-stop, but then later truncates the highlights — thereby increasing the light signal. An example of this is many of the Canon cameras, which have an ISO-50 speed below the ordinary ISO-100.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Do I qualify as an ancient monument given that I still use a 40D ... and am very, very happy with it?
    I still have my old 40D as a spare, and yes I also like it.

As mentioned above, I can't see any new specs there which would tempt me from my 7D. But possibly something to attract someone updating from an older 000D range; or an old 40D for that matter.

Real Name
    Richard

Geoff, IMO, Canon cursed many DSLR users by reducing the User Selected Modes from three on the 40D, to two on the 50D and a single on the 60D. Luckily, they returned to three on the 7D. I wonder what new cameras will bring us.

I will admit that the introduction of the quick menu button goes a bit of a way in reducing the need for user selected modes. However, I really like being able to switch a whole series of shooting parameters with one turn of the mode dial to C-1, C-2 or C-3. This is especially nice in being able to instantly switch from parameters intended for photos of stationary subjects to the paremeters I use for moving subjects.

Donald, the 40D is still a wonderful camera. I was shooting with a 30D and a 40D for a long while. The 40D has many more options than the 30D and I almost purchased a second 40D. However, I got a good deal on the 7D during a Canon price reduction under the Loyalty Program and shot with a 40D and the 7D for another lengthy time. I finally changed to a second 7D because I wanted the luxury of shooting with two identical cameras. Also two cameras which used the same type battery. Canon had another sale on the 7D and I was able to pick up a refurbished model at not a great deal of extra cash after selling my 30D and 40D bodies...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 30th June 2013 at 02:07 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Do I qualify as an ancient monument...?
    I think that is what is referred to as leading with your chin

Many Nikon shooters can't wait for the release of the 70D. Rumor has it that Nikon has been waiting to release the D300 replacement until Canon released their next cropped sensor model. Hopefully the rumors are accurate....