Thread: Girl Scout Planted Woodlot

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Girl Scout Planted Woodlot

A place where I like to hike is mostly a hardwood forest. As you walk up one of its hiking trails you come across this human organized set of trees planted by the girl scouts. It's very striking and looks completely out-of-place but very attractive. Comments welcomed.

karm

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Re: Girl Scout Planted Woodlot

Hi Karm. I like your shot. It is a nice grouping of trees - thank you girl scouts. I wonder what a vertically oriented shot would look like where the view can see further down the trees to their base. I tried a curves adjustment to give the image a bit of contrast; you may or may not think is any better. Anyway, nice capture.

Real Name
    Greg

I like the atmosphere of this picture, Karm. I would have also tried some blurred shots in this situation... to give it a more impressionistic feel. But that is another photo

Ken, feel free to post your image. When I looked at this scene what struck me was the upper portions of the trees and not their base.

karm

Hi Greg. I will further play with this image. I like your impressionistic idea. For now I just wanted a straight forward shot.

karm

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Karm Redland View Post
    Ken, feel free to post your image.
    karm
    Here is your image with a slight contrast adjustment using Photoshop curves. As I mentioned above, you may or may not like it better. It's a personal preference thing. I just did it to see the difference.

I had taken photos of white birch trees in Maine and was not happy with the results. A year later, I thought I would try post processing them again, and this time, the results were much better. Adding contrast to my images was one of the keys to improving them.

Yeah Ken, I like your version better. That additional contrast makes for a more compelling image. Thanks. I'll tweak my image.

karm

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Nice shot Karm - I like the repeating patterns in your shot. It works really well.

Thanks Manfred.

karm

Real Name
    Shane

I'm a bit late to this party but I also like this image. The depth of the scene and the repeating patterns are beautiful.

While you are working on the image take a look at the color balance when you work on the contrast. Kevin made this suggestion on one of my tree shots:

"Forest" light is tricky because of the foliage generating a slight yellow and green cast. I usually end up nudging down the yellow channel and decreasing green luminance.
    This might really enhance the white portions of the bark on these great trees (I tried this and liked the results on my image so it might be worth a try here).

Shane, in this photo I tried to bring out more of the "birch" in the birch trees. If I lost some of the contrast present in Ken's picture it has more to with downloading the image than the picture exists on my computer.

karm