Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I purchase Adobe Photoshop CS6?

Real Name
    Bruce

Should I purchase Adobe Photoshop CS6?

I have ordered LR5, and PSE11. Would there be any advantage to purchasing the full blown Adobe Photoshop or do you need further information from me before this question can be answered?
    I am planning to supplement my income with business in photography, and need assistance with the need (as opposed to the want) in purchasing this particular software. My interest is in landscapes, and informal portraiture; however over the number of years I discovered that I am a generalist in that if I believe I can do a quality job I will practically take on any assignment.

Bruce

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Re: Should I purchase Adobe Photoshop CS6?

Hi Bruce,

I think you've pretty much got all the bases covered with the above. A lot of photographers now swear by Lightroom and insist it's all they need. As I'm a CS5 user I can't comment really on the above but I think either of them (or both) come packaged with ACR, so you're good to go with raw files as well.

I did have a (very) little trial with LR whilst on holiday recently and couldn't really get into the feel of it. But as I said above, I'm a diehard PS and Bridge user so I'm biased towards that.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Boy View Post
    Hi Bruce,

I think you've pretty much got all the bases covered with the above. A lot of photographers now swear by Lightroom and insist it's all they need. As I'm a CS5 user I can't comment really on the above but I think either of them (or both) come packaged with ACR, so you're good to go with raw files as well.

I did have a (very) little trial with LR whilst on holiday recently and couldn't really get into the feel of it. But as I said above, I'm a diehard PS and Bridge user so I'm biased towards that.
    Mark, thank you so much for your comments. I am leaning towards purchase of CS6 since I believe it complements LR, and does a lot more than PSE.

Bruce

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Bruce,

Well, if you can spare the cash PS does do a lot more than PSE and if you feel you need it, then brilliant.

I found all the nuances and layers (literally) in PS a steep learning curve, but ultimately worth it. But I'll be honest, I do most of the editing in ACR. I might do this two or three times with the same raw file and blend the results using layers and masks, but that is quite rare. But lots of fun...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I tend to agree with Mark. I haven't used Elements in years, but find that for my use that Lightroom has several "fatal flaws". One is is the database structure and the other is the lack of layers, which means both layer masks and clipping masks, two mainstays in my editing workflow are not supported.

That being said; for minor edits and really good automation, you may find that Lightroom is all that you need for most of your work. As Mark has stated, Photoshop has a really long learning curve. Rather than going for a full copy of CS6; Adobe is switching to a license model and CS6 is technically getting to the end of its life cycle, Photoshop CC is running at $20/ month if you take a year's subscription and this could be a better alternative right now.

Real Name
    Bruce

Thank you Mark, and Manfred for your helpful comments.

Bruce

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Adobe is switching to a license model and CS6 is technically getting to the end of its life cycle, Photoshop CC is running at $20/ month if you take a year's subscription and this could be a better alternative right now.
    Manfred, I didn't know that. I knew they were going to a cloud based system but I haven't really looked into it. I'm happy with my CS5 that came in a box,

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Boy View Post
    Manfred, I didn't know that. I knew they were going to a cloud based system but I haven't really looked into it. I'm happy with my CS5 that came in a box,
    While I don't particularly like the licence model; I prefer owning the package, I find that I really have no alternative if I want to have the newest technology. I use a number of Adobe packages, Photoshop, Bridge, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, and this essentially meant I was spending about $1000 every two years to maintain an up-to-date version of the software. The licencing scheme means I will be paying about 20% more, but will be doing so in $50 /month increments (although the first year is only costing me $20/month because I am already running the full CS6 suite). It does reduce the barrier to entry, to be quite frank. If one only wants Photoshop / Bridge, then the price is around $20/month.

Real Name
    Bruce

I use both Lightroom5 and Photoshop CS6. As others have said, the utility and feature set of Lightroom have been so expanded and improved with each new version that many people believe it is all you really need unless you really need the layers and other features which are unique to Photoshop. Lightroom also has a very useful catalog feature which can be a great help in storing and accessing your images, particularly as your collection grows. It also has a much easier learning curve and is a lot less expensive than Photoshop. Frankly, I would start with Lightroom and practice with it until you become reasonably proficient. You may find it is all you need. If not, you can always add Photoshop later and the images you have collected in Lightroom will be available for use with Photoshop.

Real Name
    John

As I see it there are two choices for the future. One is to accept Creative Cloud. The other will be to use Lightroom as a replacement to Bridge and ACR and use Elements for the things that I now use CS6 for. Lightroom's Develop module (which is ACR) will be updated with most if not all of the new features added to the CC version of ACR including new cameras and lenses. My hope is they continually increase the capability of Elements to the point that it fully meets the needs of those of us want to, or need to, work free of the Web.

John

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Bruce

LR, PSE and CS PS all have two basic components - an editor and an organizer.

Organiser

When I was using Elements, I never used the organizer as I simply didn't like it or need it.

Lightroom has a database type organizer which some people love and others don't.

CS5 or CS6 have Bridge which I find very useful.

Editor

CS6 has a component for raw editing called Adobe Camera Raw (ACR). The functionality in this is pretty much identical to the LR4 editor. LR5 has some extra features I believe.

Elements has a cut down version of ACR which is not as useful for full scale editing as ACR in CS6. However if you have LR5 and PSE11, the limitations of ACR in PSE are irrelevant as you have LR5 for that work.

The functionality of the main PSE editor is also a cut down version of CS6. It does adjustment layers but not for as many adjustments as in CS6. It doesn't do Smart Objects. But you may find it does all you need.

So I would suggest, try using LR5 and Elements first before shelling out lots of dollars for CS6. The only thing is,with the move of the Creative Suite to the cloud, I wonder how much longer you will be able to buy CS6 as a stand-alone program ?

Dave
    Last edited by dje; 25th June 2013 at 11:17 PM.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Frankly, I would start with Lightroom and practice with it until you become reasonably proficient. You may find it is all you need. If not, you can always add Photoshop later and the images you have collected in Lightroom will be available for use with Photoshop.
    Bruce, (BDM)

Welcome to the forums mate.

Excellent advice. I'd only say that to progress to PS, practice with Elements more. Get a feel for I don't know what as I've never used it, :O I'll take a stab in the dark! It should have (Correct me if I'm wrong people!) levels and curves features, hue and saturation, basic stuff like that.

I don't know what other features Elements has. Does it have the usual filters? Unsharp mask? Not much help now am I?
    Last edited by The Blue Boy; 25th June 2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: To add Bruce's username

Real Name
    John

I wonder how much longer you will be able to but CS6 as a stand-alone program ?
    You own CS6 so it will continue to work. The issue will be ACR which at some point will no longer be upgraded for new raw formats associated with new camera models. So as long as you have a current version of Lightroom you are good. You can then move the files over to CS6 and continue your editing.

John

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by PhotomanJohn View Post
    You own CS6 so it will continue to work. The issue will be ACR which at some point will no longer be upgraded for new raw formats associated with new camera models. So as long as you have a current version of Lightroom you are good. You can then move the files over to CS6 and continue your editing.

John
    John I had a typo in my post (which I have just corrected). I meant to say "I wonder how much longer you will be able to buy CS6". I'm not concerned about my copy of CS6 continuing to work.

Yes it will be interesting to see what happens with ACR updates for camera models. LR5 has some new features which ACR 7.2 doesn't have but they will probably become available to CS users on the cloud.

Dave

Real Name
    John

Dave - I don't know how long CS6 will be available. I suspect they will pull the plug on it maybe even this year. Only a guess.

Yes it will be interesting to see what happens with ACR updates for camera models. LR5 has some new features which ACR 7.2 doesn't have but they will probably become available to CS users on the cloud.
    I believe that you are correct. I know that Photoshop CC ACR has a number of new features and that at least some of them are in LR5.

John

Real Name
    Dave

Well, you've got lot of opinions and advice, and of course most of them are absolutely right.

My two penny or two cents worth. I started with PSEn, and around a year ago bought Lightroom. At first I quite often took an image over to PSE from LR, but as I better understand LR I find I now very rarely do.

Folks who have built their workflow around Layers, will I think find it extremely frustrating not to have them available - using them just becomes second nature. Equally, those with a workflow based around LR will likely think of Layers as a rarely necessary complication.

One thing I do feel sure about: CSn and Lightroom is not a sensible combination. If LR becomes your tool of choice, CSn is way over the top for occasional use. Equally, if you go full out and climb the CSn learning curve, I doubt you would ever go near LR.

A couple of points about LR. There has been mention above of LR incorporating ACR (Adobe Camera Raw). It my well do under the hood, but one point about LR is that the interface to all intents and purposes looks exactly the same whether processing RAW or JPG's. A second point that many of us love about LR is that it is a parametric, non-destructive editor: the pixels in your underlying image are never changed. I'm sure with care and judicious use of layers you could achieve the same in CSn, but with LR it just comes for free.

So I think in your situation I would learn the tools that I have, Lightroom and PSE, and not move to CS until you find there are thiings that you can't achieve, and that you need to.

Finally, I understand from here and other forums, LR5 is still a bit buggy - you might want to check out what the bugs are. Expect a bug fix release in a few weeks.

Dave

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

A full version Photoshop is vast overkill for the majority of photographers, the learning curve is very, very steep. Lightroom keeps getting more and more talented, though. Version 1 was little more than a fancy database with some minor retouching tools and over time it has evolved into a reasonably sophisticated editing tool. Version 5 (still a bit buggy) is far more sophisticated as Adobe keeps adding more and more functionality to the develop module.

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Folks who have built their workflow around Layers, will I think find it extremely frustrating not to have them available - using them just becomes second nature. Equally, those with a workflow based around LR will likely think of Layers as a rarely necessary complication.
    As a long-time Photoshop user and occasional Lightroom user, I could not disagree more with this statement. Layers enable two features that blow Lightroom out of the water; layer masks that allow completely reversible (anytime) non-destructive, highly selective and visual editing that I can go back and tweak any time because any impacts are related to working the mask, rather than the object itself. The clipping mask adds an additional layer of sophistication that allow me to apply specific effects to a single isolated layer at a time; again something that Lightroom doesn’t come close to.

Layers also let one use blending modes, which used in conjunction with layers, layer masks and clipping masks, turned fairly ordinary images into superb ones.

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    One thing I do feel sure about: CSn and Lightroom is not a sensible combination. If LR becomes your tool of choice, CSn is way over the top for occasional use. Equally, if you go full out and climb the CSn learning curve, I doubt you would ever go near LR.
    Actually, this is a workflow that a number of pros that I know well use all the time. They use Lightroom for the run-of-the-mill tweaks, especially for things like applying global changes to shots taken under the same lighting conditions. They will then go directly from Lightroom directly into Photoshop to edit any larger hard-copy images or anything that requires more major surgery.

Real Name
    John

See if you can download a trial version or purchase an older version as long as it is compatible with your computer system.

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Should I purchase Adobe Photoshop CS6? (PS 7 heads-up)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I have ordered LR5, and PSE11. Would there be any advantage to purchasing the full blown Adobe Photoshop or do you need further information from me before this question can be answered?
    Full version of PS 7 just failed to sell at $350 and has been re-listed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...:WNARL:US:1123

Quite tempting for a Pro/ Semi-Pro ? Too much for me, even tho' tempted.

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Should I purchase Adobe Photoshop CS6? (PS 7 heads-up)

Response to Manfred's last post.

Thanks, Manfred, I happily accept your corrections. I should have paid more heed to the OP's goal of becoming a professional photographer, and recognised that Bruce's needs are likely to be different from mine.

Not doubting at all the power of CS in the right hands, and I didn't think of a pro wanting both CS and LR for different purposes. What I couldn't think through was a single workflow with both products, whereas I believe many folks use PSE effectively as a plug-in for LR.

Best regards,

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast