Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: The small city I grew up in...

  1. #1
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,467
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    The small city I grew up in...

    Hi. No birds, nor bugs, not even landscapes this time. Actually nothing great at all. Anyway, this is the small city I grew up in. It means a lot to me, as I had a great childhood there, playing (mainly footbal, of course!) freely with friends, without the violence and other major concerns of most big cities! This is the city of Rio Paranaíba, in Minas Gerais state (Brazil). I lived there from the age of 1 until I was 14. After almost 10 years from the last time I've been there, I had the chance to revisit it last Christmas. I just processed some images from this visit (yes, this was on my "to do list" since then...). Just wanted to share these with you, as I am sure many of you also recall (and probably miss) your childhood times!

    Although I am not "alone in the darkness", I also share with you the lyrics of "Forever", by the Finnish band Stratovarius. The lyrics came to my mind while processing the images.

    "I stand alone in the darkness
    The winter of my life came so fast
    Memories go back to childhood
    To days I still recall

    Oh how happy I was then
    There was no sorrow there was no pain
    Walking through the green fields
    Sunshine in my eyes

    I'm still there everywhere
    I'm the dust in the wind
    I'm the star in the northern sky

    I never stayed anywhere
    I'm the wind in the trees
    Will you wait for me forever?"

    Thanks for viewing!

    #1
    The small city I grew up in...

    #2
    The small city I grew up in...

    #3
    The small city I grew up in...

    #4
    The small city I grew up in...

    #5
    The small city I grew up in...

    #6
    The small city I grew up in...
    Last edited by Otavio; 28th June 2013 at 11:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Digital's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Carrollton, Georgia (USA)
    Posts
    2,164
    Real Name
    Bruce

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Excellent photography, Ota'vio.


    Bruce

  3. #3
    kaneohebud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    823
    Real Name
    Bud Ralston

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Otavio, meu amigo. Muito obrigado por fazer-me consciente do grupo "Stratovarius" e a canção "Forever." comprei no iTunes porque realmente preso casa para mim. Neste momento da minha vida, quase me fez chorar. Você tem um olho e a orelha para a beleza. I wanted to send this in Portuguese in honor of my great grandfather who came to America from the Azores.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,638
    Real Name
    Greg

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    I like the architectual images, Otavio, though I think the 2nd one could possibly stand a little perspective correction.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North West of England
    Posts
    6,696
    Real Name
    John

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    You quote "Photography is the Poetry of the eyes" and I think you just proved it. Very nice essay in pictures.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario (mostly)
    Posts
    6,625
    Real Name
    Bobo

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Excellent photography, Ota'vio.


    Bruce
    +1 to that.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gujarat, India
    Posts
    171
    Real Name
    Bedanta

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    +1 to that.
    +2......

  8. #8
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    20,025
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Wonderful light that you have made the very best use of. Great clarity in the pictures.

  9. #9
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,467
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Excellent photography, Ota'vio.


    Bruce
    Hi, Bruce. Thank you very much for viewing and commenting!

  10. #10
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,467
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Quote Originally Posted by kaneohebud View Post
    Otavio, meu amigo. Muito obrigado por fazer-me consciente do grupo "Stratovarius" e a canção "Forever." comprei no iTunes porque realmente preso casa para mim. Neste momento da minha vida, quase me fez chorar. Você tem um olho e a orelha para a beleza. I wanted to send this in Portuguese in honor of my great grandfather who came to America from the Azores.
    Bruce, thank you very much for the encouraging words! I really appreciate your feedback and I am glad you liked the images and the song! Also, congratulations for your excellent portuguese!

    Muito obrigado, meu amigo!

  11. #11
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,467
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    I like the architectual images, Otavio, though I think the 2nd one could possibly stand a little perspective correction.
    Hi, Greg. Thanks for viewing and commenting. Yes, #2 certainly deserves a perspective correction. I will play a little more with it. Cheers!
    Last edited by Otavio; 30th June 2013 at 02:44 PM.

  12. #12
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,467
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    You quote "Photography is the Poetry of the eyes" and I think you just proved it. Very nice essay in pictures.
    Hi, John. Thank you very much for your reply! Cheers.

  13. #13
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,467
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    +1 to that.
    Thank you very much, mate!

  14. #14
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,467
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Quote Originally Posted by bedantabd View Post
    +2......
    Hi, Bedanta. Good hearing from you! And thanks for your reply. Regards,

  15. #15
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,467
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Wonderful light that you have made the very best use of. Great clarity in the pictures.
    Donald, thank you so much for the encouraging feedback. I am really glad that you liked these simple images! Regards,

  16. #16
    Suzan J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bayfield, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    461
    Real Name
    Suzan J

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Hello Otavio: It was very nice to read your story and view these sentimental photos. I particularly like the images of the church buildings. I find that the older I get, the more comforting it is to re-visit those magical times of ones' youth. I'm in the midst of working on an "ancestry project" for my husband and I can definitely tell you now after months of research how important it is to pass on this type of story to your children. My husband's family history is so sparse and there is little we know of them. Even if a person is lucky enough to have old photos of their ancestors, it means little without the context that personal accounts such as this can bring to your history.

  17. #17
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,467
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Quote Originally Posted by Suzan J View Post
    Hello Otavio: It was very nice to read your story and view these sentimental photos. I particularly like the images of the church buildings. I find that the older I get, the more comforting it is to re-visit those magical times of ones' youth. I'm in the midst of working on an "ancestry project" for my husband and I can definitely tell you now after months of research how important it is to pass on this type of story to your children. My husband's family history is so sparse and there is little we know of them. Even if a person is lucky enough to have old photos of their ancestors, it means little without the context that personal accounts such as this can bring to your history.
    Hello, Suzan. Thank you very much for viewing and commenting. I know what you mean. It is really difficult to gather these ancestry information. I wish you luck with your ancestry project!

  18. #18
    Plumcrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ft. Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    1,546
    Real Name
    Jon

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Otavio, very nice set of photos, well done. In #2, if the light pole and comm tower were not there I think would help a lot, although it is still a very nice capture.

  19. #19
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,467
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Quote Originally Posted by plumcrak View Post
    Otavio, very nice set of photos, well done. In #2, if the light pole and comm tower were not there I think would help a lot, although it is still a very nice capture.
    Hi, Jon. Thank you very much for viewing and commenting. Will try some cloning on #2, to remove the pole/comm tower. Regards,

  20. #20
    FlyingSquirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,126
    Real Name
    Matthew

    Re: The small city I grew up in...

    Otavio, thank you for sharing this part of your life with us! It was very nice to learn something about you and your history. I especially like photo #5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •