Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: End of an Era -- Film Lab closes

Real Name
    J stands for John

End of an Era -- Film Lab closes

Listening to Radio NZ 'Arts on Sunday' I learnt that movie film processing will stop shortly at Miramar, Wellington.

The outfit started life in 1941 as a result of a reccomendation to the NZ Govt by John Greirson the British documentary film-maker which had the National Film Unit established. Reputedly the only time the NZ Govt acted on a commissioned report
    Later taken over by Television NZ and recently back at Miramar thanks to Peter Jackson but sadly[?] closing due to lack of throughput in the digital age.
    Seemingly the last Australasian lab to go under as apparently Aussies are sending last minute film to Miramar and they are very busy in their last days, just next week left before the gear is dismantled.

Don't quote me on this as it is just what I think I heard from the broadcast and memories, often not very accurate

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: End of an Era -- Film Lab closes

I suppose we should all wear black armbands even if rainbow coloured armbands would be more appropriate.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: End of an Era -- Film Lab closes

Some might I guess but as a film editor who became a video editor with the arrival of Electronic News Gathering [ENG] in 1984 on my station I do not mourn its departure.