Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Stone Path in the Ledges

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Stone Path in the Ledges

Comments welcomed.

Stone Path in the Ledges

Karm

Re: Stone Path in the Ledges

Basically, everything has been done correctly and some lighting problems have been well overcome.

But somehow I don't exactly know what is the intended subject amongst so many competing elements. Maybe I would prefer a slightly closer crop; or showing more of the scene?

I'm not quite sure. It is almost working, but I feel it could be better with some slight variations. Possibly a fraction off the top and right side?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Basically, everything has been done correctly and some lighting problems have been well overcome.

But somehow I don't exactly know what is the intended subject amongst so many competing elements. Maybe I would prefer a slightly closer crop; or showing more of the scene?

I'm not quite sure. It is almost working, but I feel it could be better with some slight variations. Possibly a fraction off the top and right side?

Geoff, I know what you mean. I think the scene needs more and not less. Here's the original image before cropping it down to what I posted. I was afraid that this image would be sensory overload. However, I liked it better than the one I posted. What I experienced is what is in this second image. Appreciate any viewer feedback.

Stone Path in the Ledges

Karm

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This scene reminds me so much of a hike I took one afternoon in Iceland on a day with light rain that I feel as if I have been there.

I really, really like the composition of the second photo. Consider backing off considerably on the saturation of the green tones; the current saturation is inconsistent with the diffuse lighting in my mind. Also consider creating a subtle vignette that darkens everything slightly except the steps.

Mike, is this a bit closer to looking right?

Stone Path in the Ledges

karm

Real Name
    Steve

Karm, I think the problem is the height. You have a vertical path, a vertical wall, and a vertical tree.........................and they are all clipped off. I would like to see the rest of the image above . Perhaps a 2 or 3 shot pano.

Hi Steve. I'm going to try your suggestion.

karm

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Perhaps it's my hiking experience that makes me biased, but I think the composition works wonderfully. That's because if I were hiking that trail, that's the scene that I would see; I wouldn't see the tops of the tree or boulders. If I take one more look at this photo, I swear that I'll feel compelled to put on my hiking boots.

I like the less desaturated look but I still think the image could benefit from putting more focus on the stepping stones by darkening everything else just a tad.

Real Name
    Terri

I like your last post the best but I am looking forward to the pano that Steve suggests. It will be interesting to compare.

Mike, that's a great point. Actually, as you say, I took a picture of what I saw. Here's one last go at this image. I tried to give the steps a bit more focus by further darkening what frames it.

Stone Path in the Ledges

karm
    Last edited by Karm Redland; 23rd June 2013 at 02:14 PM.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Karm.

I like your #2 version best of all. In #1, the area at the top was quite bright and was pulling my eye up to the top; however, I think the right side and bottom half of #1 are the most interesting parts. I do not mind the green saturation in #2 and to my eye, it is more appealing than the duller green of #3.

If #2 were my image, I would try darkening the highlights a bit to see if it works any better. The goal would be to reduce the viewer's attention on the sky and the dead tree lying at an angle.

My two cents worth. You and others may disagree.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Wow Karm, I like all the versions.

I find myself wanting to see the tree's root structure closer. I tend to like a very tight crop. I want to see the details up close. Maybe with the large "gnome hiding spot" under the large root next to the steps as the focal point? You could probably take several close crops out of this one large picture--and they would all be interesting to me.

Thanks for posting.

Gretchen

Hi Gretchen, your gnome reference is right on. I agree with you that there are multiple pics in this single photograph.

karm

Hi Ken, I agree with you on the bright spot. I already darkened it twice to revealed a bit more of the trees. I'll give it another try. This scene elicited in me too many options for developing this picture. It's one of those scenes that has many possibilities and I still can't settle on really what I want. Feedback from all has been very useful.

karm