Butterflies again set 2

Butterflies again set 2

Butterflies again set 2

Butterflies again set 2

Real Name
    Nigel

Re: Butterflies again set 2

Some very nice shots there.

They are all fairly good but some are much better than others in my humble and inexperienced opinion. I was only going to give comment on the one that really stands out to me, which is #2....but then I thought at least I would offer an opinion on the first 4 at least to compare.

#1 - I take it that the butterflies were in flight? Maybe a faster shutter speed could have been used? I can not see your settings though. A great capture all the same because I can only imagine how difficult it can be with these fast little things.

#2 - Is IMHO by far the best one of them all due to its clarity. It is very much sharp and in focus and the framing of it is perfect. Great lighting on that one too. I like it a lot.

#3 - I am not too sure if the blue on the wings have been over saturated? Unless they really are like this. I am not a butterfly expert.

#4 - Is also a nice one but not quite as sharp as #2. I think with this one, the focus point must be on the body and not the head area which means that the head is only just and I mean, only just in the DOF.

The others do not really do much for me. That said, the last one is a very nice shot too but if you can really get the focus on the body part and not the wings, this great shot would become an awesome shot.

All said, I think a very good effort and I only wish I could find a butterfly on a leaf that would pose for a shot. They just never seem to stay still over here in Portugal.

But again, congratulations on #2.

Real Name
    NIKHIL S

Re: Butterflies again set 2

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    Some very nice shots there.

They are all fairly good but some are much better than others in my humble and inexperienced opinion. I was only going to give comment on the one that really stands out to me, which is #2....but then I thought at least I would offer an opinion on the first 4 at least to compare.

#1 - I take it that the butterflies were in flight? Maybe a faster shutter speed could have been used? I can not see your settings though. A great capture all the same because I can only imagine how difficult it can be with these fast little things.

#2 - Is IMHO by far the best one of them all due to its clarity. It is very much sharp and in focus and the framing of it is perfect. Great lighting on that one too. I like it a lot.

#3 - I am not too sure if the blue on the wings have been over saturated? Unless they really are like this. I am not a butterfly expert.

#4 - Is also a nice one but not quite as sharp as #2. I think with this one, the focus point must be on the body and not the head area which means that the head is only just and I mean, only just in the DOF.

The others do not really do much for me. That said, the last one is a very nice shot too but if you can really get the focus on the body part and not the wings, this great shot would become an awesome shot.

All said, I think a very good effort and I only wish I could find a butterfly on a leaf that would pose for a shot. They just never seem to stay still over here in Portugal.

But again, congratulations on #2.
    Thanks nigel for ur review.
    In the 1st image both butterflies are moving. Male butterfly (on top) performs a mating dance to seduce the female. It lasts for a minuets. But sadly she is not impressed & and fly away from him. Otherwise I may got a whole day to capture their mating (lasts between 1hr - 12 hr). I used a sony cybershot HX10V compact, shutter speed 0.008s, ISO 800.

2nd one is captured in night. I did some exposure editing in photoshop.

3rd - The blue color is not due to over saturation but due to sunlight. The spot is actually white but glassing which reflect the sunlight (as peacock's feather)

4th - In Most cases I loose the focus on the body due to their dynamic nature, wind, and due to handheld cam. In some cases I focused on the wings because wings are the beautiful parts/ it is easy to focus.

as in Portugal butterflies are very dynamic also in here U may notice the 2nd last photo she is the largest butterfly in the south India, very dynamic, used to fly in high, I only get a fraction of second to capture her but it is out of focus. butterflies are very active in morning & evening. but they are lazy when the sunlight is very hard. chase them the whole day u will get wonderful shots these paradise creatures....Thanks again Nigel