Thread: New to flower photos

Real Name
    Nigel

New to flower photos

Hello CiC.

I went out for a quick wander over the weekend and took my Camera (Canon EOS 60D) but as my wife has become fascinated with photography, since I started taking pictures this year, she is now an older camera of mine but was also using my normal walk about lend (18-135) because I usually, these days mainly use my Sigma 10-20mm.

Anyway, I wanted to try some macro shots at some bees making a nest so I attached my Sigma 70-300mm, which is quite an old lens and not too expensive but since getting my 60D and 10-20mm, I have not touched this lens.

Not only that but I have not done any Macro shots of flowers before either.

I wanted to share this picture for some feedback. This is my first ever floral photo.

Shot from my 60D at 300mm with the macro setting on the lens set to macro.
    F/5.6, ISO 320, 1/1600 sec.

No crop made.

Any feedback is welcome. I think for my first shot at flowers, it is quite good but if anything could be done to better it, I am open to suggestion.

Upload is a 900 x 643 version.

New to flower photos

I will also show you the bees I shot but I am not too pleased with it.

New to flower photos

Again, open to feedback.

I am not so sure if the bee shot is good due to one of the bees being very much in the DOF...Dose this ruin things? Or is it just a rubbish shot to begin with?
    Last edited by Smudger; 20th June 2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Typo

Real Name
    Terri

Re: New to flower photos

Hi Nigel, I like the colors in the flower shot and the focus on the main part of the flower is good. I would be tempted to crop so that the brightest spots at the top are gone and the dark stem on the lower right is also cut out. In future shots, you might think about positioning the camera so that the background is less cluttered or as an alternative, change the perspective so that the color that is in the background has some separation from the color of your flower. The BG is sufficiently blurred, but I think it still interferes with your main flower. I hope that makes sense.

Real Name
    Nigel

Thank you very much for your comments and observations Terrib. It makes good sense.

I appreciate the time taken to view and type this because so many other viewers (66 to be precise) didnt bother, therefore, you have my respect and gratitude.

You have also give me some things to consider.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'd go with Terri's comment re teh first image.

Regarding the bees - I think the 'problem' is that there is a pretty busy subject (the colouration of the bees) against and equally busy backdrop (the colours, shapes, tones) of the nest. It would have really owrked if one or more of the bees had been out on the edsge, so that they were against the out-of-focus background behind the nest.

Real Name
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'd go with Terri's comment re teh first image.

Regarding the bees - I think the 'problem' is that there is a pretty busy subject (the colouration of the bees) against and equally busy backdrop (the colours, shapes, tones) of the nest. It would have really owrked if one or more of the bees had been out on the edsge, so that they were against the out-of-focus background behind the nest.
    Donald. I think you have hit the nail on the head regarding the bees. I also think I have give it far too much clarity!

I took probaly about 20 shots of those bees so maybe I might have a better one. But, I doubt it. :/

More Macro practice needed me thinks...Thanks for your comment.

Real Name
    Ben

Those aren't bees, they're wasps (yellowjackets). And they will become troublesome once the nest gets bigger.

I like your flower picture, well done.

Real Name
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by benm View Post
    Those aren't bees, they're wasps (yellowjackets). And they will become troublesome once the nest gets bigger.

I like your flower picture, well done.
    At least the nest is way off in the natural wilderness. Not close to my house which is a bonus and glad you like the flower pic. Thanks for the comment.

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    Donald. I think you have hit the nail on the head regarding the bees. I also think I have give it far too much clarity!

I took probaly about 20 shots of those bees so maybe I might have a better one. But, I doubt it. :/

More Macro practice needed me thinks...Thanks for your comment.
    I like the colour on both your images, well done, especially considering you took this with a telephoto lens which converts to Macro and not a dedicated macro lens. Not sure if you know this, but if you can manage 3 - 4 shots without moving the camera but just by changing the focus points, you could do a focus stack.