Thread: Picture size

Real Name
    Chris

Picture size

I've noticed the some people are able to post larger photos here... I try to post 9x7's but they are about 2.0mb so the site doesnt allow them... anyway around this besides losing picture quality?

Thanks

Stockholm, Sweden (and sometimes Santiago de Cuba)
    Real Name
    Urban Domeij

Re: Picture size

The size depends on where the image is posted. The image can be stored anywhere on the web, and if you store it on a site that allows a large picture, you can include it in your post. I never post on the CiC site, so I don't have any info of the limits here. My pictures are always stored elsewhere and linked into posts.

Real Name
    Chris

That makes sense, thanks for the info, I've just tried to upload from my drive and never from anywhere else.

Real Name
    Grahame

Chris,

Use the 'Tiny Pic' procedure covered under the FAQ section above in the menus line. You can post up to 1600 pixel width although I tend to use around 1100/1200 pixels.

If posted by this method with files around 400k they do not lose quality.

Real Name
    Chris

That's probably the issue, I never change the 300 ppi, always figured it would drop the quality.

Real Name
    Remco

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    That's probably the issue, I never change the 300 ppi, always figured it would drop the quality.
    That's what's misleading you: the ppi setting and physical print size (the 9×7 in your original post) have no bearing on either on-screen size or image quality.
    The only measure that's important is the size of your image in pixels.*

For display here, I think optimal height for an image is about 800-900 pixels (leaving some room for the rest of the page on most screens). Width will take care of itself,
    except for panorama-style images (aspect ratio approaching or passing 2:1). For printing, have a look at the other threads discussing that

Remco

* Of course, image size, PPI and print size are related, in that you can pick any 2 and calculate the 3rd. But in practice, I find it easiest to just work in pixels, and
    forget about PPI, unless I really had to crop a lot (and then only to check I still have a reasonable number of pixels for the wanted print size).

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Chris,

All the options, with their limitations and best practice advice, are listed in the first 6 posts here;
    HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

As Remco says, only pixels matter on-line, it's the only way to judge image size in a meaningful way, since all hosting methods will, if they specify a size, do so in pixels.

Good luck,

Real Name
    Virginia

I second Revi's comment.

One point is that if you're getting your picture at 300dpi, that's a resolution generally intended for actually printing on a printing press. I just generally load the picture into my lite (small and fast-loading) image editor and look at the pixel width and scanline height. If it's a portrait oriented image, I make the height about 700 scanlines and let the width fall where it may. For a landscape oriented image, I make the width not larger than 800 pixels and let the width fall where it may. For bigger pictures that I'll want people to be able to steal, display full screen, etc., I store them on my website and just post the links here. I NEVER us TIFF images on the web because (a) they're huge and (b) they're exceptionally high quality and I'm a little fussy about giving those away! The other big reason is that, generally, a PC browser won't open a TIFF image. Mac browsers used to, I don't know whether they still do.

Hope this helps.

virginia

Real Name
    Dave

Also, when posting images please have a thought for those of us with slow connection speeds. They can take an age to load, and perhaps I'm selfish, but if they are too big the quality won't matter because they won't get viewed.

Real Name
    Gretchen

I always save two versions of pics I've processed. One with a lower dpi (ppi?), about 180, that PSE will "save for web" in . jpg. and my orig (usually 300) for my personal work in photoshop format. I've never had any problem upoading my .jpg's to any website.

Since learning how to do that from other CIC members, I save them with the file name starting with cic, so I know which to upload. That way I can just do a search for *cic* and all the web ready files will be shown.

Gretchen