Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A dead tree study: Monochrome Vs RGB

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

A dead tree study: Monochrome Vs Color

Just a dead tree and, with it, the old question: What is the better choice, Mono or color images? What is your opinion, regarding this specific image?

Ps.: I am being forced to think that the Mono is more dramatic and strong, but your views are appreciated, as always.

Thanks for viewing and commenting.

1 - The Color version
    A dead tree study: Monochrome Vs RGB

2 - And the Monochrome...
    A dead tree study: Monochrome Vs RGB
    Last edited by Otavio; 19th June 2013 at 09:23 PM.

Real Name
    Ali

Re: A dead tree study: Monochrome Vs RGB

Otavio,

I have to agree with you that the monochrome is better. The sky is so dramatic and really shows off the tree.
    Very nice photo.

Real Name
    Dan

The lack of color does enhance the sense of lifelessness. The brilliant green grass and bright blue sky give a whole different feel to the image.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Very nice toning on the monochrome, Otávio. Everything about that version works better for me than the other one.

Your thread title mentions "monochrome vs. RGB." Unless you initially converted to black-and-white by entirely desaturating the image, both images are actually RGB. As an example, true black is a value of zero for all three RGB channels; white is 255; and middle grey is 128. I mention this because I am reading Vinvent Versace's book, From Oz to Kansas, which explains this and other related information that is very important. You might want to check it out.

Real Name
    Claudio

Hi Ottavio.. i reckon the mono has alot more feeling to it. Very nice image.Just as a side note..i see a few black dots on the colour image and shows one or two in same spots on the mono near the tree..what are it ? About 12 of em on colour image

Real Name
    Matthew

Otavio, hello! It has been a while since I've commented on your photos. I think the monochrome of this is very nice, whereas for me personally, the color version does not work well. As has been mentioned, the color adds a totally different feel to the image. Conversely, the monochrome puts the focus on the shapes, textures, contrast, and content. I quite like it!

Real Name
    John

Two very different images but I agree with what has been said already Octavio. It's the luminance in the sky of the Mono image that makes it stand out for me.

Real Name
    Nigel

Hi guys. Not been on for a while apart from entering the odd mini comp but now have some time to read more posts, I would simply like to offer my opinion, which is pretty much the same as the other comments, in that the mono version is my preferred choice. Both nice images though, but yeah, the mono one is much more inviting and pleasing to view.

I really like it. Well done.
    Last edited by Smudger; 19th June 2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Typo...

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Quote Originally Posted by ajsmith View Post
    Otavio,

I have to agree with you that the monochrome is better. The sky is so dramatic and really shows off the tree.
    Very nice photo.
    Hello, Ali. Thanks you very much for viewing and commenting! Regards,

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    The lack of color does enhance the sense of lifelessness. The brilliant green grass and bright blue sky give a whole different feel to the image.
    Thanks you very much, Dan. I appreciate your reply.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Very nice toning on the monochrome, Otávio. Everything about that version works better for me than the other one.

Your thread title mentions "monochrome vs. RGB." Unless you initially converted to black-and-white by entirely desaturating the image, both images are actually RGB. As an example, true black is a value of zero for all three RGB channels; white is 255; and middle grey is 128. I mention this because I am reading Vinvent Versace's book, From Oz to Kansas, which explains this and other related information that is very important. You might want to check it out.
    Hi, Mike. Firstly, thanks for your feedback on the image. Also, you are right about the RGB. The term used was not proper, as any color is a component of RGB values, as you mentioned.

Cheers!

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioG View Post
    Hi Ottavio.. i reckon the mono has alot more feeling to it. Very nice image.Just as a side note..i see a few black dots on the colour image and shows one or two in same spots on the mono near the tree..what are it ? About 12 of em on colour image
    Hi, Claudio. Thanks for your feedback. Regarding the spots, I believe my sensor was dirty at the time I shot this image. Regards,

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Quote Originally Posted by flyingSquirrel View Post
    Otavio, hello! It has been a while since I've commented on your photos. I think the monochrome of this is very nice, whereas for me personally, the color version does not work well. As has been mentioned, the color adds a totally different feel to the image. Conversely, the monochrome puts the focus on the shapes, textures, contrast, and content. I quite like it!
    Hi, Matt. Long time no "see" ...Thanks for your valluable feedback. I appreciate it. Cheers.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Two very different images but I agree with what has been said already Octavio. It's the luminance in the sky of the Mono image that makes it stand out for me.
    Hi, John. Thanks for passing by and for your comments. They are much appreciated!

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    Hi guys. Not been on for a while apart from entering the odd mini comp but now have some time to read more posts, I would simply like to offer my opinion, which is pretty much the same as the other comments, in that the mono version is my preferred choice. Both nice images though, but yeah, the mono one is much more inviting and pleasing to view.

I really like it. Well done.
    Hello, Nigel. Thanks for viewing and providing your opinion about the image. Obrigado!