Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sunset Swans

Real Name
    Ali

Sunset Swans

Looking for tips for shooting high contrast images. How do you keep the details in the whites or light areas? Any other comments to improve the photos welcome. Thanks.

sunsetswan_w1024a.jpg

sunsetswan_w1024b.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Sunset Swans

Exif would be helpful, Ali. Did you expose for the white feathers on the body of the swan in both images? Where did you set your focus point?

I like the second image, btw.

Real Name
    Ali

Hi Greg,

How do I publish the Exif data? The photos on my computer have the data, so somehow it is being removed when posting.
    I thought that I had focused on the white swans, but possibly I did not and just focused near them.

Real Name
    Ali

I went back and read the document about the different ways to post photos. It look like the Tiny Pics does not strip out the EXIF data. I will try that method next post.

Some software will remove Exif information when the image is exported or the format is changed. For example where a Tiff or the 'native format' of your software is converted to Jpeg for uploading.

So you might still have problems. Just try it and see what happens.

As Greg said, swans, or other white birds, can be very difficult to expose perfectly, particularly in strong sunshine. Lightly overcast conditions sometimes produce better results.

Try spot metering on the white areas or using some exposure compensation to slightly under expose. But there can then be problems with the background becoming excessively dark; although this can usually be improved with careful editing.

ps. The general compositions looks fine to me.

Real Name
    Ali

Geoff,

Thanks for the tips. I will try those the next time I go to the lake for swan photos or on any light subject with a dark background.