Thread: Tamron lens, focusing issues says to "lock"

Real Name
    K

Tamron lens, focusing issues says to "lock"

I have a Nikon 5200 with a Tamron 28-300mm macro lens which I can't shoot with because it says to "lock" the lens at the highest setting. What does this mean??

Real Name
    K

Re: Tamron lens, focusing issues says to "lock"

ok- figured that out then it said to "lock" something else and I'm like, it's STILL not in focus and I can't see how it's macro with no zoom function whilst it's locked and it won't focus as the elements are locked (errrr)

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Without knowing the details of your lens, I'm only guessing. If it is an older lens with a manual aperture setting ring; Nikons need the f-stop set to the highest f-stop number (smallest aperture). I have several Nikon D lenses where I have to do this.

I don't have any Tamron lenses so don't know how they are set up.

From your second posting, I assume you are locking the lens so that it does not extend. This is not what is needed. It has to be unlocked to work.

Real Name
    K

Thanks! I am thinking that the lens does not have it's own focus motor and my camera does not have that in the body and therefore I now have a zoom lens I have to focus manually-lol. Bum-mer. I was so excited to get a cheap macro lens

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by realdereal View Post
    Thanks! I am thinking that the lens does not have it's own focus motor and my camera does not have that in the body and therefore I now have a zoom lens I have to focus manually-lol. Bum-mer. I was so excited to get a cheap macro lens
    Macro shots are generally focused manually, so not much of a loss there. but not great for other types of shooting.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

I have one of Tamron's 28-300 macro lenses. I know there is at least my version without stabilization and another stabilized version. There might be others. None are macro lenses. Tamron labels the lens as such because they have more magnification that a standard zoom and, I suppose, it sells. But, they do not offer genuine 1:1 magnification. So, you got a functionally manual focus lens without macro abilities. Definitely a bummer. If you just bought the lens, return it if and while you can. I enjoy mine but I shoot with a D90--it has a focus motor.