Thread: Landscapes along Guincho, Portugal

Real Name
    Nigel

Landscapes along Guincho, Portugal

Wanted to see what the general thought was on this picture. Only been doing photography since January this year and have been reading lots and lots and lots.

I think I have read the tutorials on CIC several times over and so on. I think I am now heading in the right direction.

I know what I would change with the following image if I was to develop it again and I would probably lighten up the actual lighthouse as it appears a little dark.

And the next one. I think I would do more to the sky. It lacks drama so maybe I should have used more contrast.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

Regards,

Taken with a 60D fitted with a Sigma 10-20mm F4 lens

Nige

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Re: Landscapes along Guincho, Portugal

Nigel, on your first picture I like some of things in this photograph that make it different (e.g. sky). What distracts me is how distorted the lighthouse appears.

karm

Real Name
    Nigel

I noticed that too. What do you think this. Can it be fixed and any tutorials/links on how to fix it?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Nigel

I like the first shot in particular - I like the colours and the low angle at which the shot was taken. This is actually the cause of the distorted view of the lighthouse and it happens when looking up at a tall object from a low angle. It is readily corrected in pp using perspective correction adjustments. I don't know what editing software you have but in Photoshop there are a few alternatives. I think Paint Shop Pro has some adjustments of this nature too.

I had a quick play with your image in PS to illustrate what can be done. Hope you don't mind. In this case, I used the Transform tool.

Dave

Real Name
    Nigel

Oh, nice one Dave. Very helpful. I use Photoshop CS6 and also Lightroom.
    I appreciate your reply which was very helpful. Thanks. I will keep an eye out for this in future.

Regards.