Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Remote shutter release for Canon SX50

Real Name
    Richard

Remote shutter release for Canon SX50

It is surprising but, it seems like the Canon SX50 camera cannot operate with an infrared wireless release like the Canon RC6. It seems that the SX50 uses a wireless remote shutter release like I used on my Canon 40D in which a receiver plugs into the wired release port and is fired by a transmitter. Am I correcty in this assumption? I cannot find any information to contradict it. It is surprising because the Canon Digital Rebels always had the wireless IR trigger and my Olympus 5050Z from back in the mid 1990's also had an IR shutter release.

I wanted to buy a RC6 for my son-in-law as a little present. He and our daughter took us to a great Turkish restaurant last night to celebrate my 73rd birthday.

I know that he would use the IR release, but I doubt if he would want to take the extra step of plugging in a receiver and activating the shutter that way.

BTW: he came back from Baja California with some pretty nice images, including some of sportsfishing boats at the extreme end of the SX50's enormous telephoto range. That camera seems to be an absolute great match for his needs, and capabilities.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: Remote shutter release for Canon SX50

You will find lots of sources on Google https://www.google.co.nz/#gs_rn=15&g...w=1137&bih=659 after I looked at dpreview as to what remote the camera needs.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    It is surprising but, it seems like the Canon SX50 camera cannot operate with an infrared wireless release like the Canon RC6. It seems that the SX50 uses a wireless remote shutter release like I used on my Canon 40D in which a receiver plugs into the wired release port and is fired by a transmitter. Am I correct in this assumption? I cannot find any information to contradict it. It is surprising because the Canon Digital Rebels always had the wireless IR trigger and my Olympus 5050Z from back in the mid 1990's also had an IR shutter release.
    Yup, your assumption is correct, and again, is it really that hard to believe, since Canon left the IR remote capability out of so many of its higher-end dSLRs for so long? Both my 50D and my G9 don't have an infrared sensor. I maintain: Canon logic is not our earth logic.

My suggestion will seem off the wall, but get your SIL a set of Yongnuo RF-603 or Cactus V5 radio flash triggers with the dRebel shutter release cable (the dRebels, G, and SX cameras use the 2.5mm miniplug connector for shutter release; not the three-pin connector the XXD and up models use). That way, he'll not only have a remote radio shutter release, but the means to get into off-camera flash and Strobist work with the SX's hotshoe if he so desires.

The V5s have the advantage of an on/off switch you can reach when a flash is mounted up top, channel selector dial instead of dipswitches in the battery compartment, and locking rings on the feet. But the RF-603s are cheaper and a set will come with the shutter release cable, not as an additional purchase.
    Last edited by inkista; 7th June 2013 at 12:44 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

Kathy... Great idea regarding the Yongnuo RF-603 or Cactus V5... Thanks for the tip! BTW: He really likes the little SX50. I let him use an older 350D with a 28-135mm lens but, he is much happier with the SX50. No to just get him to do some minimal PP on his images. I might make a photograpger out of him yet...