Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Four Fishing Poses

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Four Fishing Poses

All four of these individuals display a typical fisherman pose. The woman on the extreme left is actually fishing. She is paying attention to her lure. The next woman is fishing with bait and is staring blindly at her float. The two guys are struggling to disentangle a mess of lines, knots, etc. I tried to shoot the picture so that they were aligned NW to SE in the photograph.

(The image is straight. The shoreline slopes.)

Comments welcomed.

Four Fishing Poses

Karm

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Four Fishing Poses

Hi Karm,

I kinda miss seeing the river on the left and also feel the shot would have been improved if the second guy was not bent over so far - a descending row of heads is what we were probably both hoping for.

I thought, judging from the furthest woman's pose, that this might still be a bit rotated, despite your comment, but I believe the water bottle reveals it is indeed pretty much level as it is

I see a fifth rod - yours?

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Greg

I like the strong diagonal, Karm, but I am inclined to agree with Dave about the river.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Hi Dave. Unfortunately these were naturally occurring poses. I had no control over how they held their bodies. When I looked at them it just struck me that these were four fishing poses I had seen many times before. I just thought it would make a fun photograph.

Including a part of the lake in the picture makes for a nice image but one that is different than the one I wanted to play with. I want the viewer to focus on the poses. I'll work on a version of this picture that includes some water.

The worst part of taking pictures when I'm around lakes or streams or swamps or oceans is that I'm not holding a fly rod.

Karm

Real Name
    Dan

Hi, Karm. I love your idea here. Not sure what lens you used but backing off with a long lens could flatten the perspective and might be something to try next time.