Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I love the NIK software but...

Real Name
    Richard

I love the NIK software but...

As I said, I love the NIK software but, one thing that I am not enthused about is the lack of capability to enter numbers in a field when using an adjustment slider. I really take advantage of this when using Photoshop CS6 and it makes tweaking in small segments quite a bit easier...

Say, if I want to increase the vibrance in Camera RAW, I can make my rough selection using the slider and my minute corrections to that selection entering the desired number in the field. Say, I entered a vibrance of +12 and I would like to tweak it to just a bit stronger. I could enter +13 or +14 and go up in single digit increments. I feel that I have more control over my choice when adjusting in this manner.

However, I love the capabilities of the NIK software so much that I have no problem living with this very slight bump in the road. And, BTW, I am only scratching the surface of the NIK capabltes...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: I love the NIK software but...

I haven't tried using the NIK software yet but that issue would be disappointing to me also. Thanks for giving me the heads up!

Real Name
    John

Frustrates me as well. The beauty of PS is that you can either enter the value as you describe or highlight the field and increment using the navigation arrows. Neither Nik nor Topas allow you to do this.

Real Name
    Lex

I'd like to see a hotkey for incrementing and decrementing sliders in both Photoshop and Nik (experimenting with the trial version at the moment). There may already be one, for all I know, but I haven't found it yet.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi guys,

I've tried this in Silver Efex and Color Efex. Bearing in mind that the Nik sliders go in whole %'s, so the smallest increment is 1%

If you click on the little slider button itself, it changes from light grey to dark grey. Once it is dark grey, then the left/right arrow keys increase the % by -/+ 1%. Then on to the next slider you want to use, click and the same again. I can't see a way to turn a slider back to light grey, other than by clicking another one, but I don't think this matters.

Is this what you were looking for?

Dave

Real Name
    Andrew

Richard, I noticed that in Lightroom the sliders also jump to much sometimes and you can't fine tune with steps one digit at a time. I found holding down the shift key while using the sliders changes the sensitivity of the sliders and single numbers adjustments works quite well. I don't know if it will work with NIK but give the shift or other control keys a try.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Hi guys,

I've tried this in Silver Efex and Color Efex. Bearing in mind that the Nik sliders go in whole %'s, so the smallest increment is 1%

If you click on the little slider button itself, it changes from light grey to dark grey. Once it is dark grey, then the left/right arrow keys increase the % by -/+ 1%. Then on to the next slider you want to use, click and the same again. I can't see a way to turn a slider back to light grey, other than by clicking another one, but I don't think this matters.

Is this what you were looking for?

Dave
    So they do Dave. I was trying the "up" and "Down" arrows thinking that if anything, it would work like PS. But it's the L and R arrows that increment and the other two cycle you through the slider set. You learn something every day.

P.S. Topaz works in the same way.

Real Name
    Richard

I was hoping that a CiC friend would chime in saying, "You're all wrong, Richard, this is the way to do it!" Thank you for the insight John and Dave! This will make using NIK far easier.

BTW: since Photoshop was a self-learned program; it took ages before I realized that you can numerically change the slider values...