Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Spyder 4 Calibration Express Just Installed - Help please RGB or adobe RGB

  1. #1
    Brownbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    7,244
    Real Name
    Christina

    Spyder 4 Calibration Express Just Installed - Help please RGB or adobe RGB

    I just installed the spyder 4 calibration for monitors (Thank you Mike, it appears that my monitor did need calibration)

    And it is asking me if I wish to use sRGB or Adobe RGB... I'm pretty sure it should be Adobe RGB because I print my photos and will be editing them too, so this makes the most sense but I want to do a double check before I click the wrong button.

    I have no intentions of doing anything fancy with this or my editing... Simple is best at this stage for me...

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    30,671
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Spyder 4 Calibration Express Just Installed - Help please RGB or adobe RGB

    Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    I just installed the spyder 4 calibration for monitors (Thank you Mike, it appears that my monitor did need calibration)

    And it is asking me if I wish to use sRGB or Adobe RGB... I'm pretty sure it should be Adobe RGB because I print my photos and will be editing them too, so this makes the most sense but I want to do a double check before I click the wrong button.

    I have no intentions of doing anything fancy with this or my editing... Simple is best at this stage for me...

    Thank you.
    The answer is usually found on cic.

    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...obeRGB1998.htm

  3. #3
    Brownbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    7,244
    Real Name
    Christina

    Re: Spyder 4 Calibration Express Just Installed - Help please RGB or adobe RGB

    Yes, it is but it is a bit complex...

    Reading the link I would say Adobe RGB because I work with raw photos, and send them out for printing.

    It appears that the Adobe RGB colours, are not all used, and the tutorial seems to lean towards sRGB for shadows, and shadows are important... so I'm still not sure.

    If I choose SRGB should I also set my camera to sRGB instead of Adobe RGB?

    Thank you.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 1st June 2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: to correct a mistake

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC
    Posts
    18,889

    Re: Spyder 4 Calibration Express Just Installed - Help please RGB or adobe RGB

    I'm not an expert about this particular question, but I think you should set the calibration to a similar color space that you will be using when you edit the master files of your photos. I have not read the CiC tutorial about this topic.

  5. #5
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    30,671
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Spyder 4 Calibration Express Just Installed - Help please RGB or adobe RGB

    Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Yes, it is but it is a bit complex...

    Reading the link I would say Adobe RGB because I work with raw photos, and send them out for printing.

    It appears that the Adobe RGB colours, are not all used, and the tutorial seems to lean towards sRGB for shadows, and shadows are important... so I'm still not sure.

    If I choose SRGB should I also set my camera to sRGB instead of Adobe RGB?

    Thank you.
    Yes regarding setting camera and monitor to same colorspace. You should check with you printer source and see what colorspace they use on your prints, although that doesn't necessarily mean you need to change your settings to match.

    Shadows are important but you can see from the tutorial that selective colors (dark green) can be better encompassed by Adobe RGB. I guess it also depends on what you are photographing and how te image is displayed. Also, it states that "sRGB approximates the color gamut of display devices and AdobeRGB encompasses colors achievable by CMYK printers".

  6. #6
    Brownbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    7,244
    Real Name
    Christina

    Re: Spyder 4 Calibration Express Just Installed - Help please RGB or adobe RGB

    Hi John,

    Thank you so much. Got it! (ie... understood)

    Christina

  7. #7
    davidedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cheshire, England
    Posts
    3,086
    Real Name
    Dave

    Re: Spyder 4 Calibration Express Just Installed - Help please RGB or adobe RGB

    Another non-expert reply, but I was pondering this recently and found a link to Ken Rockwell's site. www.kenrockwell.com. If you go there and search srgb, you'll find a comparison between srgb and Adobergb. He is adamant that you will not go wrong if you stick with srgb. Worth a read before you decide.

    Dave

  8. #8
    Brownbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    7,244
    Real Name
    Christina

    Re: Spyder 4 Calibration Express Just Installed - Help please RGB or adobe RGB

    Thank you Dave. I will check it out..

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grafton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,352
    Real Name
    Allan Short

    Re: Spyder 4 Calibration Express Just Installed - Help please RGB or adobe RGB

    Christina: camera set to Adobe sRGB, Spyder to Adobe sRGB, when you open image in RAW, colour space Prophoto and everything will be fine.

    Cheers:

    Allan

  10. #10
    Brownbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    7,244
    Real Name
    Christina

    Re: Spyder 4 Calibration Express Just Installed - Help please RGB or adobe RGB

    Thank you Allan... Everything will be fine... great to hear!

    And for anyone who is reading this, a BIG thank you to Mike Buckley for recommending that I calibrate my monitor...

    I did not think I needed to as t's a fairly new monitor and my colours looked fine to me but the calibration showed a big difference in the colours I was seeing on my monitor....

    Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Christina: camera set to Adobe sRGB, Spyder to Adobe sRGB, when you open image in RAW, colour space Prophoto and everything will be fine.

    Cheers:

    Allan

  11. #11
    Cantab's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canada (west coast)
    Posts
    1,239
    Real Name
    Bruce

    Re: Spyder 4 Calibration Express Just Installed - Help please RGB or adobe RGB

    Christina, glad to hear you got a Spyder. I have one and profiled an old CRT monitor I was using but bought a new monitor a couple of months ago and have yet to use the Spyder on it! I'd better get moving.....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •