Thread: Deer from vacation in March

Real Name
    Matthew

Deer from vacation in March

The final day of my photo vacation, back in March, started out horribly. A storm rolled in, it was cold, windy, raining...then I pulled a few muscles in my back and was in extreme pain (while carrying 50 lbs of gear). Nothing was going right. I was about to give up and call the final day of the trip a loss, but then as I was standing at my car getting ready to leave, something in my gut said to stay strong and not give in. So I followed my instincts and, on a whim, I headed off down a lesser traveled path...

...and found these deer. I spent an entire afternoon with these delightful creatures. Although I was wearing camo, I was not concealed, so they obviously could see me moving, hear me, and smell me. However, I moved very slowly, low to the ground, and made sure that everything about my presence was non-threatening. After some time, the deer grew accustomed to me, which allowed for some decent shots.

So the final day of the trip turned out to be one of the most rewarding and exciting; I'd never been this close to wild deer, nor had I ever photographed them before! I can't explain how amazing it was to spend time with these beautiful animals, at a relatively close distance, and watch them feed and interact with each other. The rain showers and sun breaks throughout the day added a magical feel, on top of that.

C&C welcomed, thank you!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Deer from vacation in March

The detail in these photos can't be appreciated without viewing them in the Lytebox.

Very nice, Matt. All of them. Though my favorite is #2 because of the gorgeous light, the pastel colors in the background and the terrific bokeh.

Thanks also for explaining your situation and experience capturing these wonderful images. I hope your back is better.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Though my favorite is #2 because of the gorgeous light, the pastel colors in the background and the terrific bokeh.
    I agree. That is an absolute beauty.

Conviction, determination, patience and sensitivity to the subject pays off. This is the example of that.

Real Name
    Christina

Beautiful images... #2 is Wow!

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Hi, Matt. All very nice images! Beautiful. Well done!

Real Name
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    The detail in these photos can't be appreciated without viewing them in the Lytebox.

Very nice, Matt. All of them. Though my favorite is #2 because of the gorgeous light, the pastel colors in the background and the terrific bokeh.

Thanks also for explaining your situation and experience capturing these wonderful images. I hope your back is better.
    Thanks a lot, Mike. I always appreciate your comments.

Sometimes I wonder if I type too much info at the top of my posts when sharing photos. I guess I just like to share stories and info; I'm glad you enjoyed reading it!

My back took about a week after that and I was good to go. It didn't help to spend the rest of the day carrying 50lbs of gear while hunched over and crawling around, shooting the photos. But then, I zoned out the pain because I was having so much fun

Real Name
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I agree. That is an absolute beauty.

Conviction, determination, patience and sensitivity to the subject pays off. This is the example of that.
    Thank you so much, Donald!

Real Name
    Matthew

Thank you, Christina, and Otavio. I appreciate you viewing and commenting, and am glad you enjoyed the images.