Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I guess it's true

Real Name
    Djoran

I guess it's true

It's the person taking the photo and not the camera.

I saw this picture on reddit from someone claiming to have used a smartphone camera. I'm curious to hear from people here what they think about it.

EDIT: Image removed.
    Last edited by DDK; 25th May 2013 at 11:27 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: I guess it's true

Djoran - This is someone else's image that you have placed on here and are asking people to comment upon it. I am assuming you do not have the permission of the copyright holder to do this. At the very least, the image should be referenced to its creator and proper source.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The information stated cannot be confirmed Djoran, as all of the metadata that could confirm that this image is taken by a camera phone has been stripped out of the image file. Unfortunately, this means there is no way to verify what camera was used to take this picture. It could be a camera phone as the DoF indicates small sensor, but perhaps not with the almost macro like distance to the subject. Unfortunately, I don't know my camera phones. Nothing I own would give me that kind of quality.

Real Name
    Tim

Well, some variation on it might just be true.
    Take a look at this rather extraordinary take on the 'Photo a Day' notion.
    Cheers
    Tim

Real Name
    J stands for John

I have a comparable photo illustrating the potential image quality of an I-Phone but cannot post it as it is my son's photo. I was most impressed with it both from IQ and content. I see the problem with such devices in that they are not ergonomically designed to take great photos but with luck they can at the low level required for web use.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

I am not sure you need to give too much credit to the photographer. The technology going into cameras on phones is pretty unbelievable especially if you compare it to the first generations of digital cameras. The fact that phone cameras are capable of recording some pretty awesome images should not be a surprise. Regardless of the actual origins of this particular picture.

Real Name
    Lex

Jerry Ghionis, one of the world's best wedding photographers, submitted an album of iPhone-only natural light shots to an international wedding photography competition. He placed 4th overall.

I would argue that yes, it's mainly about the photographer. A photographer will always get more out of a camera than an uneducated user - an eye for posing, composition, and lighting is independent of the device. But eventually, that device will limit you. For slow-moving or static subjects in bright light where lots of DoF is good, cell phone cameras can produce images that rival DSLRs. But if you hit low light, fast action, need shallow DoF, or (most important) need to control a flash system, phone cameras fall short.

Real Name
    Virginia

Just wait until the new graphene imaging sensor takes over P&S! My IEEE friends have been talking about it all week; and tonight, about 45 minutes ago, my neighbor printed off an article from technewsdaily.co

Good as Jerry's pictures may be to come in 4th, if he gets a cell phone with the new sensor, he ought to come in first, I'd think.

I'm jes' sayin'....

virginia

Real Name
    J stands for John

A link would be nice Virginia ...prithee please