Thread: Butterflies of Kerala

Real Name
    NIKHIL S

Butterflies & Moths of Kerala

Rathinda amor (Fabricius) was found on a Mango tree in Kerala. It is a small lycaenid or blue butterfly found in south Asia. She is beautiful and very dynamic. I climb the tree to capture her.....
    Butterflies of Kerala
    Last edited by snikhil208; 13th May 2013 at 10:15 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Butterflies of Kerala

Hi there,

I have a feeling of deja vu, I'm sure someone else posted an image very similar to this recently.

Anyway, looking at this one, I assume you are looking for some constructive feedback ...

The EXIF data says; Sony DSC-HX10V at 4.3mm (FFE about 25mm, I think), f/3.5, 1/30s, iso 125, P mode.
    Given the smaller sensor in your camera than a DSLR, the f/3.5 is actually equivalent to about f/16 in DSLR terms, although a little more DoF (Depth of Field) wouldn't hurt - however, you were lucky/skilled to get it this sharp at 1/30s (assuming handheld), so going slower is not suggested.

The bright background blobs are a bit of a distraction and to be honest, I don't see the right hand 1/3 of the image contributing much, so I'd suggest a crop just the the left of the biggest blob to eliminate that.

The others could be cloned out, but you'll need a PP (Post Processing) program better than Picasa to do that; Elements or GIMP are two that spring to mind.

The subject exposure is good.

Hope my feedback helps.

Could you do me a favour please?
    Could you Edit your Profile and put your first name in the Real Name field and where you are (roughly) in the Location field? - thanks.

Welcome to the CiC forums from ...

Real Name
    NIKHIL S

Thank u for your valuable advice Sir. I need to climb the tree to capture this little beauty, and the camera is handheld. I think because of this I lost the right side details. I shot several shot of her, one have very right side details but lost its left. I love her eyes so I choose this pic to post.
    I am very glad to get you as my first photography teacher. I hope u will criticize my future humble works and lead me in right way.
    I will edit my profile sir.

Real Name
    NIKHIL S

I was lucky to get this guy. It is a very rare species of wild butterfly, active in nights. Look at his wings texture, that helped him to camouflage with the surroundings.....
    Butterflies of Kerala

Real Name
    NIKHIL S

Blue Tiger (Tirumala limniace) is a butterfly found in India......
    Butterflies of Kerala

Real Name
    NIKHIL S

Common Indian Crow
    It is found in Sri Lanka, India, Myanmar and Australia. These are toxic and thus mimicked by other Indian butterflies (Batesian mimicry).
    Butterflies of Kerala
    Butterflies of Kerala
    Butterflies of Kerala