Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Splintered Tree

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Splintered Tree

I tried to capture in this image both the texture of the wood and the smell of a freshly splintered tree. Comments welcomed.

Splintered Tree

Karm

Real Name
    Christina

Re: Splintered Tree

I think it is a great shot.. Love the texture and detail.

Thanks Christina.

Karm

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

As a documentary photo, it's clear that the exposure, post-processing, etc., brings it to life; it's as if I can feel the texture.

However, with all due respect (and I mean that very sincerely), this seems like the kind of photo that I would make and later decide that it doesn't evoke an emotional reaction. My point is that for those that it does evoke reaction, great. For those that it doesn't, there are a LOT worse photos that all of us make.

Mike, you are very perceptive. The original picture I took was designed to elicit a certain emotional response. After cropping this original image many times (to locate what i was looking for) the image I posted appeared. I like closeups. I find them beautiful and interesting to look at. When I looked at this splintered tree in the field I found its splintering and bark luscious. However, the picture I intended was not just splintered wood and bark. I found in my original photograph what initially drew me to this snapped tree. That's what I'm sharing.

Karm

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Have you considered reverting to your original photo and tilting it dramatically so there are few if any strong, vertical or horizontal lines? I'm thinking that the splintered look needs to be displayed more randomly; we tend to think of vertical and horizontal lines as being arranged.

Real Name
    Matthew

I like the shot. Agree with Mike, it might be worth a try to rotate it so there are less vertical / horizontal lines. Personally, I do not like the piece that enters the frame from the left middle. I find it distracting, but you probably couldn't have (and wouldn't want to) try to remove that from the scene at the time of the shot. A lot of people don't like to groom or modify the subject.