Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: what to use to edit a shadow from a photo

what to use to edit a shadow from a photo

what to use to edit a shadow from a photoI am a new photographer and have a great photo editing program and usually can edit them fairly well but this one is giving me grief how can i get this right with out distorting the photo? please help
    Last edited by maleahamystics; 7th May 2013 at 03:30 AM.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Re: what to use to edit a shadow from a photo

Hi Maleahamystics

Perhaps to give our experts here a better idea of what you want to do, please post an image with the shadow you want to edit. How about the image you are editing the shadow from.

Welcome to CiC !

Victor

for some reason it wont let me upload the image any ideas why that might be

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by maleahamystics View Post
    So which shadows are giving you grief, the cast shadow across the face or the dark ones behind the figures? Also, what editing program do you use?

Real Name
    Steve

I think maybe you will find an easier way to do this but using PSE10:

Duplicate the base layer and blend as thus; 9p means using Gaussian blur at 9 pixels radius.

Overlay 50% inverted 9p Gaussian
    Color 100%
    Adjustment Layer (Pin Light 100% Levels auto the use the grey spotter on the top of the green shirt, Output 0-180)
    Luminosity 9%
    Color 100%
    Hard Light 49%
    Multiplicity 100% 70p Gaussian
    Screen 100%
    Screen 100%
    Screen 100%
    Base

Or you could use the feature for shadows in PSE, I think there has to be an easier way and in fact I've got Topaz Detail and Helicon Filter both able to do it a bit easier.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I would simply select the shadows that I want to be lifted and I would brighten them. If your camera has Active D-Lighting (that's Nikon's name for the capability; I don't know about other brands), this situation involving harsh lighting would be an ideal time to use it. However, you can achieve similar results during post-processing even if Active D-Lighting is not used, so long as you don't create noise when lifting the shadows.

Steve,

I didn't follow the details of your post that explain what you did, but your post-processing rendered the skin tones a very unpleasant orange tone. That's a definite no-no in my mind for a casual family shot such as this one.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Maleahamystics - generally what photographers try to do (and no, it is not always possible to do this), is to avoid taking pictures in these conditions and thereby avoiding having to do this type of work in post-production. The technique is often referred to as "getting it right in the camera" means trying to pose your subjects in shaded areas where these harsh shadows do not occur.

Shadow man its the one ac-crossed the little boys face

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I would simply select the shadows that I want to be lifted and I would brighten them. If your camera has Active D-Lighting (that's Nikon's name for the capability; I don't know about other brands), this situation involving harsh lighting would be an ideal time to use it. However, you can achieve similar results during post-processing even if Active D-Lighting is not used, so long as you don't create noise when lifting the shadows.

Steve,

I didn't follow the details of your post that explain what you did, but your post-processing rendered the skin tones a very unpleasant orange tone. That's a definite no-no in my mind for a casual family shot such as this one.
    There is another D-Lighting process in View NX or View NX2. There is also a highlight and shadow protection feature.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by maleahamystics View Post
    Shadow man its the one ac-crossed the little boys face
    That same shadow appears two more times (across the woman's arm and on the neck of the child on the man's shoulders) so it would be best to try Steve and Mike's suggestions.

Real Name
    J stands for John

I think working from the original file that cloning could be an answer with the mothers breast tones cloned over the shadow on the boys face and the boys hair cloned over the shadow. One would have to leave the boys eye[s] alone. I won't show what I did becuase the image we have been given is such poor quality and looks as if already adjusted to try and wash out the shadow somewhat?