Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: photo for consideration. What do you think?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cumberland Plateau, Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    35
    Real Name
    Greg

    photo for consideration. What do you think?

    I'm feeling brave tonight. Tell me what you think and recommend to make it better.

    This is a black and white from my first photo shoot. It was done with my A620 at tv 4.1 and av 1/30. There was a window to the right and tungsten lighting at a 45 degree angle on the left at slightly higher than head level. The camera flash was also used.

    img_2400usmals.jpg

    IMG_2400usmals.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 27th November 2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: add image inline

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    11,629

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    I'm actually more of a 'bugs' man (photographically speaking that is) but it looks fine to me. You have just avoided the highlights over exposing but still retain good shadows. As it should be.

    The only slight thought is that to me she appears to be posing too hard and looking rather serious. I would like to see her appearing a bit more relaxed and obviously enjoying the experience.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA - California
    Posts
    445

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    I like the image I did a few adjustments to it - hope you don't mind

    photo for consideration.  What do you think?
    - Crushed the background to complete black
    - Removed the strap, as it isn't significant to the image, had to crop slightly
    - Added some creative sharpening for facial features
    - Added a slight local contrast to the facial features
    - Added a slight output sharpening

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cumberland Plateau, Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    35
    Real Name
    Greg

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I'm actually more of a 'bugs' man (photographically speaking that is) but it looks fine to me. You have just avoided the highlights over exposing but still retain good shadows. As it should be.

    The only slight thought is that to me she appears to be posing too hard and looking rather serious. I would like to see her appearing a bit more relaxed and obviously enjoying the experience.
    thanks. Actually I it was very informal and I think she had just turned to look at the other person in the room, when I got this shot. Thanks for the nice words.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cumberland Plateau, Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    35
    Real Name
    Greg

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    I like the image I did a few adjustments to it - hope you don't mind

    photo for consideration.  What do you think?
    - Crushed the background to complete black
    - Removed the strap, as it isn't significant to the image, had to crop slightly
    - Added some creative sharpening for facial features
    - Added a slight local contrast to the facial features
    - Added a slight output sharpening
    Thanks KentDud,I don't mind. Glad to get the advice and be able to see it instead of just being told what it needed. Really like what you did with the face. I was limited to Picassa PP.I am going to get Photoshop sometime in the near future.
    As for the strap, I kinda liked it, maybe because I am a realist and it was there when I got the shot sooo, I would leave it. Thanks a lot it looks great.
    Greg

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    In my opinion, this just doesn't seem to work at a grayscale image

    By any chance, do you have a colour version?

  7. #7
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,240
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    Hi Greg,

    As you probably know, I am not an experienced portraitist myself, so these comments may be way off the mark, well they are certainly a personal viewpoint, based on what I see rather than what you have told us.

    I like the pose in general, although the model appears a little 'uncomfortable'. I like the head angle and hair on near shoulder, but think it would be improved if those lovely eyes were looking at the camera/viewer.

    Focus seems to be just a tad 'behind' the eyes in as much as here hair looks sharper, but that could be a false impression caused by sharpening.

    With the mixed lighting, monochrome probably avoids many pitfalls for the inexperienced, it even makes the noise acceptable.

    Regards,

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cumberland Plateau, Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    35
    Real Name
    Greg

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    In my opinion, this just doesn't seem to work at a grayscale image

    By any chance, do you have a colour version?
    Sorry ,no color version.

  9. #9
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,240
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    Hi Greg,

    Was it RAW or jpg capture?

    Cheers,

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cumberland Plateau, Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    35
    Real Name
    Greg

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Greg,

    Was it RAW or jpg capture?

    Cheers,
    It was a jpg. My A620 does not shoot raw.
    Greg

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    11,629

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    I'm not sure about removing the strap. Your original photo looks like a 'nice girl who lives next door' while the strapless version appears, to me, more like a formal nude study.

    I think it all depends on exactly what you want from the photo.

  12. #12
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,789
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    I think she would look nice in colour; I bet she has green eyes.

    photo for consideration.  What do you think?

  13. #13

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    In my opinion, this just doesn't seem to work at a grayscale image
    I have to agree. Something odd is happening with the skin tones that gives an unflattering look. Maybe soften the skin areas keeping the sharpness in the eyes and hair? The eyes are beautiful but i need them to speak to me. There is a stiffness in the pose that gives disconnect with the subject. It sort of reminds me of one of those american college year book photos from the sixties.

    Whoops I just saw this
    Sorry ,no color version.
    and it explains alot. I would advise that you always shoot colour and convert. If you have the camera in b/w mode you are only capturing a fraction of the tonal range (I may need to stand corrected on this my technical knowledge is a few points down on Barney Rubble)

    Steve
    Last edited by Wirefox; 30th November 2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Silly bouncy Mac keyboard

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cumberland Plateau, Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    35
    Real Name
    Greg

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I'm not sure about removing the strap. Your original photo looks like a 'nice girl who lives next door' while the strapless version appears, to me, more like a formal nude study.

    I think it all depends on exactly what you want from the photo.
    I agree with you , strapless changes the viewers impression of the model.
    Greg

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cumberland Plateau, Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    35
    Real Name
    Greg

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I have to agree. Something odd is happening with the skin tones that gives an unflattering look. Maybe soften the skin areas keeping the sharpness in the eyes and hair? The eyes are beautiful but i need them to speak to me. There is a stiffness in the pose that gives disconnect with the subject. It sort of reminds me of one of those american college year book photos from the sixties.
    I don't think this was actually a pose. I think she was reacting to the other person in the room and I took the shot. I do like it though.

    Whoops I just saw this and it explains alot. I would advise that you always shoot colour and convert. If you have the camera in b/w mode you are only capturing a fraction of the tonal range (I may need to stand corrected on this my technical knowledge is a few points down on Barney Rubble)
    Steve
    I did not realize that there was a loss of tonal range with the black and white setting. Thanks for the info.
    Greg

  16. #16
    Antonio Correia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Setubal - Portugal
    Posts
    3,743
    Real Name
    António Correia

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    Here is my version of her portrait.
    I didn't like the rotation of the crop. So, I rotated it a bit and made other adjustments like blurring her skin and hair, sharpening her eyes, lips and teeth.

    I rather like more informal portraits than these, studio made. However, I think you have done a good use of the available lights on the studio. I wouldn't have done better than you have.
    Do you like my version ?

    Oh something else I was going to forget: I was going to clone the support of the bra (yes laugh) but I am very poor on CS#. Sorry.
    I think she would be better without it like suggested in another version.
    It gives a more sensual mood to the person.

    photo for consideration.  What do you think?

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cumberland Plateau, Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    35
    Real Name
    Greg

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Here is my version of her portrait.
    I didn't like the rotation of the crop. So, I rotated it a bit and made other adjustments like blurring her skin and hair, sharpening her eyes, lips and teeth.

    I rather like more informal portraits than these, studio made. However, I think you have done a good use of the available lights on the studio. I wouldn't have done better than you have.
    Do you like my version ?

    Oh something else I was going to forget: I was going to clone the support of the bra (yes laugh) but I am very poor on CS#. Sorry.
    I think she would be better without it like suggested in another version.
    It gives a more sensual mood to the person.

    photo for consideration.  What do you think?
    I like your version very much. I had to laugh when you said studio made. It was in a small bedroom at a friends house with a black sheet hanging on the wall.
    For some reason I like the strap. Makes her look, as Geoff F says , like the girl next door.
    Thank you very much for your input. What software did you edit with?
    Greg

  18. #18
    cneedha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Wenham, Massachusetts
    Posts
    102
    Real Name
    Chris

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    The main difference between the original and Antonio's version to me was the slight reduction in exposure- her skin tones and hair don't look so harsh. Otherwise I think it is a nice image!
    Chris

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cumberland Plateau, Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    35
    Real Name
    Greg

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by cneedha View Post
    The main difference between the original and Antonio's version to me was the slight reduction in exposure- her skin tones and hair don't look so harsh. Otherwise I think it is a nice image!
    Chris
    Thank you. . I'm still working on it , but my software resources are limited at this point.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kolkata - INDIA
    Posts
    540

    Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Here is my version of her portrait.
    I didn't like the rotation of the crop. So, I rotated it a bit and made other adjustments like blurring her skin and hair, sharpening her eyes, lips and teeth.

    I rather like more informal portraits than these, studio made. However, I think you have done a good use of the available lights on the studio. I wouldn't have done better than you have.
    Do you like my version ?

    Oh something else I was going to forget: I was going to clone the support of the bra (yes laugh) but I am very poor on CS#. Sorry.
    I think she would be better without it like suggested in another version.
    It gives a more sensual mood to the person.

    photo for consideration.  What do you think?
    Hi Antonio Correia,

    You have done very good finising work., it looks much better than original Image

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •