Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: photo for consideration. What do you think?

Real Name
    Greg

photo for consideration. What do you think?

I'm feeling brave tonight. Tell me what you think and recommend to make it better.

This is a black and white from my first photo shoot. It was done with my A620 at tv 4.1 and av 1/30. There was a window to the right and tungsten lighting at a 45 degree angle on the left at slightly higher than head level. The camera flash was also used.

img_2400usmals.jpg

IMG_2400usmals.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 27th November 2009 at 01:10 AM. Reason: add image inline

Re: photo for consideration. What do you think?

I'm actually more of a 'bugs' man (photographically speaking that is) but it looks fine to me. You have just avoided the highlights over exposing but still retain good shadows. As it should be.

The only slight thought is that to me she appears to be posing too hard and looking rather serious. I would like to see her appearing a bit more relaxed and obviously enjoying the experience.

I like the image I did a few adjustments to it - hope you don't mind

photo for consideration.  What do you think?
    - Crushed the background to complete black
    - Removed the strap, as it isn't significant to the image, had to crop slightly
    - Added some creative sharpening for facial features
    - Added a slight local contrast to the facial features
    - Added a slight output sharpening

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I'm actually more of a 'bugs' man (photographically speaking that is) but it looks fine to me. You have just avoided the highlights over exposing but still retain good shadows. As it should be.

The only slight thought is that to me she appears to be posing too hard and looking rather serious. I would like to see her appearing a bit more relaxed and obviously enjoying the experience.
    thanks. Actually I it was very informal and I think she had just turned to look at the other person in the room, when I got this shot. Thanks for the nice words.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    I like the image I did a few adjustments to it - hope you don't mind

- Crushed the background to complete black
    - Removed the strap, as it isn't significant to the image, had to crop slightly
    - Added some creative sharpening for facial features
    - Added a slight local contrast to the facial features
    - Added a slight output sharpening
    Thanks KentDud,I don't mind. Glad to get the advice and be able to see it instead of just being told what it needed. Really like what you did with the face. I was limited to Picassa PP.I am going to get Photoshop sometime in the near future.
    As for the strap, I kinda liked it, maybe because I am a realist and it was there when I got the shot sooo, I would leave it. Thanks a lot it looks great.
    Greg

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

In my opinion, this just doesn't seem to work at a grayscale image

By any chance, do you have a colour version?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Greg,

As you probably know, I am not an experienced portraitist myself, so these comments may be way off the mark, well they are certainly a personal viewpoint, based on what I see rather than what you have told us.

I like the pose in general, although the model appears a little 'uncomfortable'. I like the head angle and hair on near shoulder, but think it would be improved if those lovely eyes were looking at the camera/viewer.

Focus seems to be just a tad 'behind' the eyes in as much as here hair looks sharper, but that could be a false impression caused by sharpening.

With the mixed lighting, monochrome probably avoids many pitfalls for the inexperienced, it even makes the noise acceptable.

Regards,

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post

By any chance, do you have a colour version?
    Sorry ,no color version.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Greg,

Was it RAW or jpg capture?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Greg,

Was it RAW or jpg capture?

Cheers,
    It was a jpg. My A620 does not shoot raw.
    Greg

I'm not sure about removing the strap. Your original photo looks like a 'nice girl who lives next door' while the strapless version appears, to me, more like a formal nude study.

I think it all depends on exactly what you want from the photo.

Real Name
    Steve

I think she would look nice in colour; I bet she has green eyes.

I have to agree. Something odd is happening with the skin tones that gives an unflattering look. Maybe soften the skin areas keeping the sharpness in the eyes and hair? The eyes are beautiful but i need them to speak to me. There is a stiffness in the pose that gives disconnect with the subject. It sort of reminds me of one of those american college year book photos from the sixties.

Whoops I just saw this
    Sorry ,no color version.
    and it explains alot. I would advise that you always shoot colour and convert. If you have the camera in b/w mode you are only capturing a fraction of the tonal range (I may need to stand corrected on this my technical knowledge is a few points down on Barney Rubble)

Steve
    Last edited by Wirefox; 30th November 2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Silly bouncy Mac keyboard

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I'm not sure about removing the strap. Your original photo looks like a 'nice girl who lives next door' while the strapless version appears, to me, more like a formal nude study.

I think it all depends on exactly what you want from the photo.
    I agree with you , strapless changes the viewers impression of the model.
    Greg

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I have to agree. Something odd is happening with the skin tones that gives an unflattering look. Maybe soften the skin areas keeping the sharpness in the eyes and hair? The eyes are beautiful but i need them to speak to me. There is a stiffness in the pose that gives disconnect with the subject. It sort of reminds me of one of those american college year book photos from the sixties.
    I don't think this was actually a pose. I think she was reacting to the other person in the room and I took the shot. I do like it though.

Whoops I just saw this and it explains alot. I would advise that you always shoot colour and convert. If you have the camera in b/w mode you are only capturing a fraction of the tonal range (I may need to stand corrected on this my technical knowledge is a few points down on Barney Rubble)
    Steve
    I did not realize that there was a loss of tonal range with the black and white setting. Thanks for the info.
    Greg

Real Name
    António Correia

Here is my version of her portrait.
    I didn't like the rotation of the crop. So, I rotated it a bit and made other adjustments like blurring her skin and hair, sharpening her eyes, lips and teeth.

I rather like more informal portraits than these, studio made. However, I think you have done a good use of the available lights on the studio. I wouldn't have done better than you have.
    Do you like my version ?

Oh something else I was going to forget: I was going to clone the support of the bra (yes laugh) but I am very poor on CS#. Sorry.
    I think she would be better without it like suggested in another version.
    It gives a more sensual mood to the person.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    I didn't like the rotation of the crop. So, I rotated it a bit and made other adjustments like blurring her skin and hair, sharpening her eyes, lips and teeth.

I rather like more informal portraits than these, studio made. However, I think you have done a good use of the available lights on the studio. I wouldn't have done better than you have.
    Do you like my version ?

Oh something else I was going to forget: I was going to clone the support of the bra (yes laugh) but I am very poor on CS#. Sorry.

I like your version very much. I had to laugh when you said studio made. It was in a small bedroom at a friends house with a black sheet hanging on the wall.
    For some reason I like the strap. Makes her look, as Geoff F says , like the girl next door.
    Thank you very much for your input. What software did you edit with?
    Greg

Real Name
    Chris

The main difference between the original and Antonio's version to me was the slight reduction in exposure- her skin tones and hair don't look so harsh. Otherwise I think it is a nice image!
    Chris

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by cneedha View Post
    The main difference between the original and Antonio's version to me was the slight reduction in exposure- her skin tones and hair don't look so harsh. Otherwise I think it is a nice image!
    Chris
    Thank you. . I'm still working on it , but my software resources are limited at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post

Do you like my version ?

Hi Antonio Correia,

You have done very good finising work., it looks much better than original Image

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast