Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Herb Farmer

Real Name
    Phil Page

Herb Farmer

Having said I'm generally not a fan of 3x2 vertical crops, here's a herb farmer relaxing on the back of his pickup after delivering in the early morning at the Fruit and Vegetable market. Busy backgrounds can't be avoided, but 3x2 and using intersections of third lines helps here I think.

Herb Farmer

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: Herb Farmer

A fine shot Phil. It is, however, not your best shot.
    Personally I do not like a portrait if the subject is looking up at the viewer unless it is done for a specific purpose.

Real Name
    Lex

I think this works rather well, Phil. Busy backgrounds are part of this gent's environment, so it's appropriate. Maybe this is a conscious decision on your part, but the shot looks a tad dark to me. A little extra exposure and sharpness would give it even more kick. Detail, focus, and composition are spot-on.

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    Personally I do not like a portrait if the subject is looking up at the viewer unless it is done for a specific purpose.
    While I agree that this can sometimes be a sign of showboating, looking directly at the camera creates a useful sense of connection with the viewer, and for impromptu portraits, ensures that the subject is aware of, and okay with, having their photo taken. Most of the time, I have no trouble with it.

Real Name
    Joanne Van Praag

Well Phil, if he's relaxed then I wouldn't want to meet him when he is stressed.........love the image even if it frightens the proverbial out of me.........

Joanne xx