Thread: Free Bee

Real Name
    Claudio

Free Bee

Hi all..so im jealous of all ya pple with maro lenses!!! but i was bored jus now..went outside..got on my knees...and to a click or 2 of some bees hanging around... took em with my 18-55mm kit lens... not the greatest..but im quite chuffed with the outcome...any C+C on the actual compostion.. and maybe on how i can improve settings on my camera is greatly appreciate. Both take with Nikon D5100 18-55mm lens Auto ISO (chose 500) SS 1/2000 and F5.6.

Free Bee

Free Bee
    Can anyone recommend better focus settings? i switched between AF-S and AF-C and then i switched from matrix metering to center weighted metering.....erm..i just cant recall when.. doh... so when going in close (until i eventually get a Macro lens)..what is best?

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Re: Free Bee

Great results from a kit lens.
    You would get a greater depth of focus (if you want it) by sacrificing some speed for a smaller aperture, but I guess much will depend on how active your subject is.
    A tip I read on a well known nature photographer's site is to take an exposure from grass or similar toned leaves. Both approximate to mid grey so both exposure and colour balance should be OK. You might need to dial in a touch of exposure compensation if your subject is unusually dark or light.

Starting with simple ideas, Claudio.

I wonder if a counter clockwise rotation and tighter crop would improve #1?

And a closer crop on #2. Possibly use 5 x 4 ratio?

You don't need 1/2000 for a bee, unless it is actually flying, so you could have put some of that into having a narrower aperture. I would probably use somewhere around 1/250 and F14 for shots like these.

Exposure is always a problem. I often use fill flash to give more consistency.

Spot metering can be useful but you need to be careful of variations. For example black and white subjects, etc.

Evaluative (matrix) metering usually gives a more 'rounded' exposure but there are potential risks by letting the background over rule the main subject exposure.

In both cases, I usually make an exposure compensation adjustment for fine tuning. But this requires a little experience or having sufficient time to check the display screen.

Personally, I prefer manual focus to auto focus for macro shots. But some subjects do move faster than I can focus so AF can be better in those situations. However I get a lot of false focus problems even when just using the centre focus point.

Whenever possible, I use a tripod.

Bees are difficult models, so you have done well here.

Real Name
    Claudio

Free Bee

Free Bee
    Hi Geoff..do these seem a little better...i wanted to ask..what is the fill flash for?

Those look much better to me.

I often use a bit of flash to prevent over dark shadows and to enable me to use suitable camera settings. For example, a narrow aperture (say F11 to F16) without having to use an excessive amount of Iso (around Iso 200).

But you probably get a little more natural sunshine than me!