Thread: Heringbone Camera Strap

Real Name
    Richard

Heringbone Camera Strap

I like to use a hand strap and also like to have a way to hang my camera from my Optech strap. Luckily the RRS L-Plate provides an extra strap fastener to allow me to both hang the camera and to have a hand strap attached...

My problem is that the two hand straps that I have purchased on eBay and were not really that comfortable. The straps securing the pad were actually too short to give me enough space to slip my hand into and comfortably hold the camera. I suspect that this is because the RRS L-Plate needs a longer strap than is normally used on hand grips...

However, I have found a hand strap, Herringbone, that seems to just what I need. It is pretty pricey at $34 U.S. Dollars but, it might be just what I need...

I would not need a Type-2 since the RRS L-plate includes the hand strap attachment point...

Has anyone used a strap of this type and what is the verdict?

BTW: I like to have an L-plate on both the cameras I am shooting with, since I will usually be carying a monopod and will use the pod for stabilizing HDR shots and for panos when I don't have a tripod with me (which is relatively often when I am out shooting).

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Heringbone Camera Strap

Richard - The first website I came across when I did a search said, "The Herringbone Heritage Hand Strap is a luxurious hand strap that is hand-made using premium 100% genuine leather." Hence the price, I suspect.

I use Canon's own hand strap, so I can't comment on how good the Herringbone is. I just couldn't operate without the hand strap fitted, but it's a case of what you get used to.

Real Name
    Andrew

These are great. Adjusted to fit well and they are comfortable. I have two of them and it's all I have used for a few years. The camera is never around my neck. It's always ready in my hand. For those of you that need one, the adapter allows easy mounting on a tripod/monopod. With the premium model you can add some personality.

http://www.camdapter.com/handstrap/prostrap.html

Real Name
    Richard

I really like using the Optech Dual Harness but, I am thinking that for my upcoming trip to Venice, Greece and Istanbul having a pair of cameras hanging might just make me somewhat more of a target for theft.

I am serously considering that I might revert back to the way I used to carry the two cameras before I discovered the Optech Dual Harness. I carried the camera with 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens around my neck on a neoprene strap and the camera with my 70-200mm f/4L IS lens in a holster case at my hip with a hand strap on that camera. This is how I carried my two cameras throughout China and it is really a convenient way to carry. That way, I really look no different from a person with a single camera and a small camera bag unless I am actually shooting with the second camera.

I am going to order the Herringbone Heritage Hand Strap. Markins also makes an interesting hand strap but, the Herringbone Type II is about 2/3 the price of the Markins strap...

Real Name
    Lex

I used an Op-Tech hand strap and sling for a while, but I can't say I was a huge fan. The sling was convenient, but I never really trusted its plastic buckles, and only two weeks of use (in urban exploration, to be fair) killed it. The hand strap couldn't be used with the sling, and used a neoprene hand wrap which was very secure, but sweaty.

I wound up making my own sling and hand strap system. The sling is pretty dang bulletproof with a wide, thick shoulder pad, all-metal hardware, and two camera attachment points. The hand strap can be wrapped around the user's wrist for extra security, and slides underneath the camera body so it works with both landscape and portrait grips. The system lacks a little polish, but works great.

Real Name
    Richard

I broke down and ordered a Herringbone Heritage Strap in black with red stitching... I want to get my gear for the trip all set up long before I leave. I don't want any surprises lke the hand strap not fitting or not being comfortable...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 24th April 2013 at 04:36 PM.

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I don't want any surprises like the hand strap not fitting or not being comfortable...
    That's why I like making my own. If it's wrong, change it!

Real Name
    Zen

I use the Camdapter on both of my 5D3's, and they are great. Looked a long time to find something that worked well, including the Canon model, and this is head and shoulders above anything else. BTW, I have the RRS plate permanently attached to the cams, and the Camdapter fits onto it perfectly. No need to remove the strap to mount on the 'pod. Give it a try; you won't be disappointed.

Zen

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks, all...

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    I used an Op-Tech hand strap and sling for a while, but I can't say I was a huge fan. The sling was convenient, but I never really trusted its plastic buckles, and only two weeks of use (in urban exploration, to be fair) killed it. The hand strap couldn't be used with the sling, and used a neoprene hand wrap which was very secure, but sweaty.

I wound up making my own sling and hand strap system. The sling is pretty dang bulletproof with a wide, thick shoulder pad, all-metal hardware, and two camera attachment points. The hand strap can be wrapped around the user's wrist for extra security, and slides underneath the camera body so it works with both landscape and portrait grips. The system lacks a little polish, but works great.
    I looked at the Heringbone and it looks great, but might be difficult to get to the Netherlands.
    Can you show a photo of what you used for your own contraption?

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    I looked at the Heringbone and it looks great, but might be difficult to get to the Netherlands.
    Peter, this is the Herringbone Strap that I ordered. I ordered the #2 type since I will always have the RRS L-Plate on my camera so I won't need the Herringbone plate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Herringb...item1e78e06fef

I chose the black with red stitching but, I guess that the color really doesn't make a lot of difference - except that a really bright color would make the camera a somewhat more noticeable.

It is shipped from South Korea, so I would expect that getting the strap to the Netherlands might not be any more problem than getting it to the USA.

Real Name
    Lex

I don't have detail shots of the strap's setup, but it uses a plate bolted to the bottom of the battery grip as an anchor for a thin guide strap that runs from the upper right strap slot, through the battery grip's strap slot, and then to the plate at the bottom left (relative to the user). The hand strap is anchored on two slides attached to the guide strap, so it can move freely between horizontal and vertical grips. The system includes a small loop above each factory strap slot which connects to quick-releases on the sling.

You can see part of the system below, along with the sling pad. Hand-sewn 0.125in thick medium-hard neoprene with a PALS grid on the shoulder (great for attaching flash battery packs and other accessories on run-and-gun shoots), adjustable length, with quick-releases on both ends of the strap. Super comfortable. The Frankensteined monopod plus flash plus remote cord plus battery packs plus duct tape contraption is my Boom Stick. Great for fire photography, but difficult to aim it and a camera simultaneously.

Heringbone Camera Strap

And here, in use on an abandoned crane in Germany.

Heringbone Camera Strap

Real Name
    Richard

Lex, thanks for the images...

I received the Herringbone Strap today (it took about a week) and it was packaged very well in its own box with a cloth bag (I have no idea why I would need a bag for a hand strap but, that shows you the attention to detail.

The strap is exceptionally well made, looks just like the illustration and is very comfortable to use. I guess that you get what you pay for ( most of the time at least )

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    The strap is exceptionally well made, looks just like the illustration and is very comfortable to use. I guess that you get what you pay for ( most of the time at least )
    I hope so. Raw materials and hardware costs for my own straps were pretty bloody high. But it's about 80% of the way to perfect, lacking a little ergonomic refinement plus some spit and polish. Really, I suspect most of the Herringbone's cost comes from using leather - I prefer materials that can get rained on and require no special care.

Quote Originally Posted by rcprowe
    I received the Herringbone Strap today (it took about a week) and it was packaged very well in its own box with a cloth bag (I have no idea why I would need a bag for a hand strap but, that shows you the attention to detail.
    Well, yes, but whenever I see overly nice packaging, I smell red herrings. I'm definitely nit-picking, but my inner engineer prefers to see effective, cheap, recyclable packaging - the money saved can be spent on perfecting the product.