Thread: Still Life - Does it work?

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Still Life - Does it work?

Please folks, any C&C will be appriciated. I am not sure if the composition in this works.
    Another thing I am not sure of is exactly what should be in focus?

Still Life - Does it work?

Re: Still Life - Does it work?

For me, Andre, this sort of scene usually works best if the foreground is the sharpest; then fading into the distance.

No particular reason, it just seems more natural; the way we normally look at the world.

If they are in a container, should you show all of it?

Some nicely coloured models, and they didn't move during shooting!

Exposure is good.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Andre,

I agree with Geoff, it almost looks accidental that the centre focus point has chosen the stalk of the rear most apple to be sharpest.

The EXIF shows Nikon D200 at 100mm f/10 and 1.3 seconds at 100 iso.

I guess you were hoping for a bit more DoF, but because the focus isn't at the best depth into the shot (around 40% in would be good) and I suspect the shooting distance has meant that f/10 isn't sufficient for the probably 12"/300mm diameter of the bowl, it hasn't worked so well.

You have done fairly well controlling reflections and bright spots though and the exposure looks good.

HTH,

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This may seem like an easy photo to make but it's far from that. Congratulations for attempting it, especially for not making it a disaster.

In addition to the above comments, I think the bottom of the glass bowl should be displayed. That's because your treatment makes the bowl such a prominent element.

I also think there is too much empty space at the top; it doesn't add anything to the image for me. Before you attend to that, though, there is some red stuff in that space that could easily be eliminated by selecting that area and raising your black point.

Once you get all of that down, it would be ideal if you would use a lighting set up that shows only the edges of the glass. The stuff in the bottom of the image that shows other aspects of the glass detract from the primary subject -- the apples.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

I concur with the comments from the others, Andre. I was wondering if you might have a more interesting still life if you were to place more apples in the bowl. All of the apples are at the same level, but it might be a more dynamic composition if there were a triangle formed by adding more apples. Another thought is, apples are good, but since you have complete control over the subject, maybe a combination of fruits might provide more interest.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    foreground is the sharpest; then fading into the distance.

If they are in a container, should you show all of it?

Some nicely coloured models, and they didn't move during shooting!

Exposure is good.
    Thanks Geoff, I will try it again using your advice.

I was to lazy to set up a tripod and used my camera bag for stability, I am very glad they didn't move.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    The EXIF shows Nikon D200 at 100mm f/10 and 1.3 seconds at 100 iso.

I guess you were hoping for a bit more DoF, but because the focus isn't at the best depth into the shot (around 40% in would be good) and I suspect the shooting distance has meant that f/10 isn't sufficient for the probably 12"/300mm diameter of the bowl, it hasn't worked so well.
    Thanks Dave, amazing how much can be told from the EXIF, that is why I always post with EXIF. You are spot on.
    I will try a 300mm lens (with a tripod).

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I also think there is too much empty space at the top; it doesn't add anything to the image for me. Before you attend to that, though, there is some red stuff in that space that could easily be eliminated by selecting that area and raising your black point.
    Thanks Mike, I will sure redo until I get it right.

The light: I was using only natural light to "create the mood".

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    I concur with the comments from the others, Andre. I was wondering if you might have a more interesting still life if you were to place more apples in the bowl.
    Thanks Ken, I will add some more fruit, like bananas.