Thread: Backlit Pups

Real Name
    Trace

Backlit Pups

I've been missing time with my camera lately. As I drove myself home yesterday, I was feeling a little less exhausted than previous weeks (mid-semester teaching break), and had that Friday afternoon "let's do something" feeling. So was very happy when I arrived home to find inspirational sunset light filtering through the back yard. So I grabbed my ever-ready models, my camera and a ball and decided to try some backlit photos.

Feedback always welcomed
    175mm 1/500sec f/4 ISO160
    Backlit Pups
    190mm 1/500 f/4 ISO100
    Backlit Pups
    200mm 1/500sec f/4 ISO250
    Backlit Pups
    190mm 1/500 f/4 ISO100
    Backlit Pups

Also like this, though it was a different angle, so not backlit. 185mm 1/500 f/4 ISO560
    Backlit Pups

Then there was this one... again not backlit, and not my favourite photo from the afternoon, but is the one that is "consuming" me. I'm trying to decide if I like the original, or one of the crops best. The original is the first image below (1). Part of me wanted to straighten the horizon/fence. So I did, and cropped in closer, see the second photo (2). But I wasn't so keen on her head tilt, so cropped again focussing my attention on her head, and I like the less structured kind of fun feel to the photo, but worry the background is distracting (3). Any thoughts on preferences or other options I should try out.
    1. Backlit Pups
    2. Backlit Pups
    3. Backlit Pups
    Last edited by PhotoByTrace; 19th April 2013 at 11:39 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Backlit Pups

Pretty good series, looks like the camera was searching for a target on the third image, still looks pretty nice.

Real Name
    Mark

Trace, I like all of these very much. Beautiful subjects for one thing! And great light, indeed. The first is simply gorgeous but too bad about the feet/lower legs off frame.
    Of the trio, I would like the first, best, just with the straightening, I guess I’ve got a thing about keeping the feet in for action shots. Or… could you try a more extreme crop and just keep that earnest face and part of the ball? Anyway, thanks for sharing these.

Real Name
    Trace

Thanks Mark, Absolutely agree. As soon as I took it I'd wished I'd been quicker on zooming out with that first shot. I'm getting better, but as the ball thrower as well as camerawoman, they are usually returning towards me at a fair pace.
    On the trio... you've hit the nail on the head, the problem with straightening the original is that it takes out the feet, that was why I cropped more aggressively in the end. I might be able to do some creative cloning to straighten and keep feet. I'll play some more. Appreciate the feedback!

Real Name
    Trace

Thanks John, I was trying to focus manually past the grass that the af had grabbed, but I didn't get it quite right before she moved

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Trace,

Looking at the last group shot, numbered 1 - 3, I prefer the last; #3, but perhaps just a smidge wider crop along bottom and clone out the few odd brown bits of grass on left and right along the bottom edge.

Nice series though,

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I hope to never miss images that you post of your accommodating models. This set is no exception. I especially like the strongly back lit scenes.

Real Name
    Bruce

I enjoyed all the photos. Of the last three versions my preference (contrary to everyone else) is #2 the close crop. I like the very first shot; I wasn't aware of the missing feet until reading others' comments.

Real Name
    Trace

Thanks Mike! I was pleased with how they came out, and was very pleased I hadn't found time to mow last weekend
    Dave and Bruce thanks for your feedback. Always appreciated

Real Name
    Toņo

Trace

You made a very good series. Beautiful dog, and very well executed on your part.

Sometime ago I tried to get pictures of some dogs playing in a pond by the woods and it was very frustrating, the dogs were not as beautiful as yours and they showed some strange, ugly faces in the pictures, that I decided not to spend time on those pictures trying to somehow make them prettier than they really were.

From the first group I like the first one best, and also 4 and five.

From the second group the second is my favorite. Tilting the image to the right on the third does not work for me. I think a leveled horizon works better this time.

Toņo

Real Name
    Dan

Really a nice set of images. The first backlit shot is awesome. Either of the two crops work. I'm usually picky about a level horizon but my eye focuses on the dogs face and I don't even notice the horizon line. IMO the angle of the head works either way.

Nice shooting.

Real Name
    Mike

Lovely set Trace! Really like the light in the first one but like others have said, shoot, wish the feet weren't cut off! Happens to the best of us!

My last dog had a soccer ball just like yours- it was her most favorite toy to play with! Keep on taking pics of your dogs, they make good models!

Real Name
    Enrique Segarra

Love that afternoon sunlight! Great set!