Thread: Suburban walk

Real Name
    Chris

Suburban walk

Many amazing threads with amazing shots. I'm just posting a suburban path which I like a lot, for the strong perspectives, and contrasts in mood. I'm frustrated my shots don't do it justice, and would appreciate C&C & suggestions. This was towards the end of a damp afternoon, and our spring is a month late.
    First : F4, 1/500, ISO 100, 18mm (FF eq 80mm)
    Suburban walk
    A wide view F3.5, 1/200, EC-2 for the sky, ISO 100, 6mm (FF eq. 28mm)
    Suburban walk

Thanks.

Real Name
    John

Re: Suburban walk

Nice looking path, nice composition, nice leading lines. I like the completeness of the first image.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice looking path, nice composition, nice leading lines. I like the completeness of the first image.
    Thanks John. It'll be prettier once the clematis smothers the fence on the right again, however this time I wasn't trying to get 'pretty', and it's an ongoing frustration for me not to get a shot which reflects the sense of distance, of space, and of the confrontation between the quaintly rural and the ultra modern which the path inspires. I'll keep trying.

Real Name
    Lex

I would try moving a little further down the path so it leads straight toward the city. That would draw the viewer into the photo more strongly, and would remove the lamp obscuring the skyline. Those lamps might make great elements in a long-exposure night shot, too.

I suspect, Chris, that unless you can return on a sunny day, with nice blue sky, this is going to be something of a 'dull light scene' no matter what you do.

You are limited by the sky lighting conditions unless you try HDR (on a tripod etc) or are prepared to over expose the sky.

The alternative is to treat it as a dull weather shoot, which is more or less what you have done.

Possibly try a little Local Contrast Enhancement to add a fraction more 'pop' but don't overdo that. Too much 'improvement' can easily spoil this sort of scene.

Photographing immediately after a shower can give a little more impact with some wet reflection etc.

I would probably have shot with a slightly narrower aperture and slower shutter speed but there isn't any serious focus depth problems here even at your rather open aperture.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Hi Chris, I like the first one a bit more than the second. However, I agree with Geoff that the lighting makes everything look flat. I think this type of lighting along with your choice of subject matter needs something additional in the picture - like people or pets doing something - to make it look interesting.

Karm

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Chris,

I prefer the composition of the second
    (well, it's the more obvious one I'd have shot)

Geoff and Karm are right; the lighting is a major part of the problem.

You have (in my opinion) done exactly the right thing in protecting the highlights during exposure, however, I think they could be improved with some time spent on PP.

I would lift the mid-tones using Levels (others could achieve the same with Curves) and definitely apply some Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE)

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks Geoff, Lex, Karm, Dave for taking the time & having the patience to look at my less than spectacular efforts ! I'll be able to work through your recommendations and come back with some improvements tomorrow (when the sun should be out at last as well !).

Chris.

Real Name
    Splashy

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I suspect, Chris, that unless you can return on a sunny day, with nice blue sky, this is going to be something of a 'dull light scene' no matter what you do.

Ithink the picture is nice and only needs a little PP.

[IMG]Suburban walk[/IMG]

Real Name
    Chris

Geoff, Dave, thanks for the tips on LCE, I didn't know that technique. Lex, I did a crop which takes me further forward, which I quite like, but I agree that the shooting position limits me. I think the problem is that the line of the lights interferes with the line of the fence. I like both, so I'll have to experiment.
    Splashy, I really like your rather dramatic treatment. It looks to me as though you've pushed contrast and saturation, but how did you get the 'shininess' of the wet path and of the silver graffiti paint to stand out like that ?

Chris.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by splashy View Post
    Ithink the picture is nice and only needs a little PP.

[IMG]Suburban walk[/IMG]
    Now it's lost its urban grit, but still looks nice.

Real Name
    Splashy

As I said I like these kind of pictures, I did some sliders in lightroom, just to brighten it a bit, the color is left as it was.
    These are the changes;

Suburban walk

Real Name
    Chris

Thanks Splashy.

Some variants with the sun shining, taking into account all comments on positioning & adding human interest :

1) Further back
    Suburban walk

2) Further forward
    Suburban walk

3) Higher up
    Suburban walk
    Last edited by Ati; 15th April 2013 at 12:12 PM.

With the first of your reshoots, Chris, I wonder about cropping to a different size ratio; possibly 5 x 4 ratio and losing some of the foliage; plus a little from the bottom if necessary.

That seems to concentrate the view and make the path appear longer.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

No. 2 is a good shot. The presence of the skater makes it for me. My eye is drawn immediately to him/her, then it follows the fence line towards the person in white then up to the buildings. Colours are vibrant but realistic. Nice.

Tony