Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: dragonflies and flowers

dragonflies and flowers

These are some of my first attempts at still photography other than point and shoot.
    I have a lot to learn so feel free to pick them apart.

Thanks for your time.

Rookie with new toy.
    canon 40d
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: dragonflies and flowers

All of the images are very good.....sharp, background nicely out of the way and good color.....looks like you are on your way.....

Real Name
    Ian

I would certainly agree. That final dragonfly shot is stunning.

Watch the background to avoid distractions (first dragonfly shot) and consider looking down into the flowers rather than across them.

Apart from that, extremely good.

Thank you for the kind words.
    I was truly excited with the shots I was getting right out of the box and again I have a lot to learn.
    I taking back my first lens purchase the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 II and exchanging it for the Canon 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6L EF IS Lens.
    The reach was just not quite enough.
    Any thoughts on that exchange.

Thanks for your time.

only the second pic is the most striking pic of the whole lot here it is a visual delight for a viewer. its different from most pics of these sort the rest of the pics have that familiar look around them many pics have been shot like these,by many budding photographers. they are all good and can be surely improved, to give that professional look...but alas we are not professionals but lovers we love photography....lets enjoy all the pics,while we can

Real Name
    Ian

Might a tele converter (say x2) not create much the same effect at a lot less expense?

That way you would retain the flexibility of have a fast lens (f2.8) as well?

I can't really comment on the models here as mine are Nikon, although I used to have a Sigma f4 70-300 which wasn't a patch on the Nikon 70 - 200 (although there is a huge price difference!).

Thanks, but to late. I already made the return and went with the canon 100-400 L IS.
    I needed a bit more reach and could not seem to get a very sharp image at 200 mm with the sigma. It may have just been my shaky hands and or bad setting choices.

Going to pick up the 2x tele converter as well and get a bit more reach.

Here are a few shots I took with the new lens.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    Thank you for the kind words.
    I was truly excited with the shots I was getting right out of the box and again I have a lot to learn.
    I taking back my first lens purchase the sigma 70-200mm f2.8 II and exchanging it for the Canon 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6L EF IS Lens.
    The reach was just not quite enough.
    Any thoughts on that exchange.

Thanks for your time.
    Maybe too late, but you may not find the tele-converter is the answer for bugs and flowers, but probably fine for the birds with the good lens. For b & f you need to be really fairly close in. I have similar lens viz Nikkor 80-400, but for medium to large flowers I revert to kit 18-135 minimum focus distance 280mm. For very small flowers I have a Canon 500D close up ring that goes on the outer end avoiding lens changes. It has very shallow DOF and focus range not far either side of 500mm. One of few occasions where I think a tripod is nearly essential, especially using the close-up ring. For flowers it is also really worth taking fairly early or late in day with sun low and not too strong, but enough to get some DOF. If you ever want the wind to blow cos your sail is flapping, start taking flower pics, always starts blowing like mad.

You could also get a macro lens, but suspect purse a bit empty after the 100-400 purchase

Agree with "taken" that the 2nd pic is great and the best. Flowers look a bit on dull side, but that may be in PP.
    Last edited by crisscross; 20th August 2008 at 07:46 AM.

Real Name
    Thierry

nice set of pictures. For number 1 the shoot is a little bit too wide. That's only personal feeling.