Thread: From the watery side

Real Name
    Graham Heron

From the watery side

Hi all,
    Usually I am standing on the edge of the water and wanting to get closer. When I do so, the birds fly away.
    So, donning old trousers (hot day, didn't want to burn) and sandals, out I ventured - with some trepidation I must admit. Salt water and electronics don't mix too well. Nevertheless, water was shallow, I moved with some care and everything turned out well.
    Being on the water side the birds seems content to let me get closer, much to my advantage.

Plus a couple of landscapes as tide was low and some rocks were revealed. Often kneeling down (water is very shallow for a hundred yards offshore, not even past knees at low tide)
    C&C always welcome.
    Tricoloured heron - been trying to get some decent shots for a while, very happy to get these. I was there for a long time and he/she was quite content to stay there (min distance prob around 25')
    Fishing and environmental (amongst the mangroves)
    Terns - bathing beauties
    Graham
    Tri-coloured Heron - Fishing
    From the watery side
    In the Mangroves
    From the watery side
    Terns
    From the watery side
    Landscape from the sea side
    From the watery side

Real Name
    Christina

Re: From the watery side

All lovely shots... Adore the 1st heron shot, those terns sure are cute, and that landscape is stunning.

Real Name
    Terri

Agree with Christina, Graham. I like what you did with the Terns. And the landscape colors are gorgeous.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Thanks Terri and Christina,
    For the landscape, trying to come to grips with Nik Color Efex.
    Graham

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The landscape is wonderful. It would also make a great monochrome, thanks to the three basic elements (foreground rocks, mangroves and sky).

I like the donuts created by a mirror lens when they are directly related to the subject, but not so much when they make the background distracting as in the case of the first photo.

Real Name
    Pete

Nice Work Graham, your effort was rewarded!

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I like the donuts created by a mirror lens when they are directly related to the subject, but not so much when they make the background distracting as in the case of the first photo.
    Thanks Mike,
    I quite like the doughnut effect, but perhaps I spent too long in Canada (long live Tim Hortons).
    I shall also try to get to grips with SEP for the landscape (brain hurting already with the anticipation).

Thanks also Pete. I like the saying that 'you get what you pay for'. Emotionally this shot meant more than a drive up and park type shot as I had to work for it and search around. Of course, I now have to figure out sunset (actually the right direction), lighting AT sunset (ND grads - not enough, probably have to bracket) as well as the low tide - PLUS available time and weather. Great, more work .
    Graham