Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The First Weekend of Spring

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The First Weekend of Spring

This time last year we has temperatures of 20 degrees C and glorious sunshine. Standing in the middle of this field this afternoon with a high wind creating a pretty hostile wind chill, it was b..... cold!

Anyway, reason to celebrate, I got the chance to get out there with the camera.

I am always interested to hear you reactions. I like the subtlety of the sky that although pretty grey does have definition and detail in it. I think the image is quite balanced. What do you think?

40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L @ 34mm. ISO100. 1/180s@f5.6

Some of you who've been around here for a long time, have seen these trees before. I captured this in December 2009.

Re: The First Weekend of Spring

I'm rarely keen on square crops for landscapes. 5 x 4 or 3 x 2 ratio for example always seems to look more natural. Possibly because that is how we normally view a scene with our eyes?

Otherwise, excellent.

Real Name
    Mark

Not sure i like the foreground in No1 id have cropped it at the road i think. but other than that top notch as ever Donald

Real Name
    John

I like both, great use of leading lines, patterns. The sky is fine but a tad too much viewable.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Yes #1 is my preference but I also think the expanse of sky is not adding to it. The pattern of the rows of plants contrasting with the blank field and bare tress works well. I have to trust you that it is spring because we never get snow in my area at any time of the year.

Real Name
    Graham

Hi Donald,

I have been off line for a while; but saw your image and felt I must comment. I like it very much. It is a more complex composition than you usually employ and it works. Do not crop it! It reminds me of a modernist painting in form. The tonality is beautiful as is usual for your work.

Graham

Real Name
    Shane

Donald, both images are lovely but it is really hard to think spring in the first . I am torn about including less sky or the use of a different landscape ratio for the image but if the sky is what draw you to the scene it should stay!

I do love your use of leading lines and the overall tonality of the image - very nice.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Hmm. It looks like you are having a similar spring to what we are experiencing right now...

I find the composition interesting as the lower field takes away the squareness of the shot and makes it a bit more rectangular looking.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you to the above for taking the time to comment. As always, comments provide food for thought and cause you to reflect on your own thinking ... whether or not, at the end of the day, you agree or disagree. It's only the very stupid who cannot listen to alternative thoughts and ideas.

ps - It's slightly warmer today and there's been a bit of a thaw, but our weather forecast is for more of this white stuff.
    Last edited by Donald; 25th March 2013 at 07:06 PM.