Thread: Juvenile cattle tyrant

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

Juvenile cattle tyrant

I was looking for kiskadees (my favorite bird) when I saw this juvenile cattle tyrant. Despite the great distance, I think the picture is presentable and I decided to bring it to the CiC.
    C&C are welcome, as always.
    Antonio.

1/500 - f/5.9 - ISO 200 - 1000 mm FFE - Nikon P510
    Juvenile cattle tyrant

Real Name
    John

Re: Juvenile cattle tyrant

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Hat View Post
    I was looking for kiskadees (my favorite bird) when I saw this juvenile cattle tyrant. Despite the great distance, I think the picture is presentable and I decided to bring it to the CiC.
    C&C are welcome, as always.
    Antonio.

1/500 - f/5.9 - ISO 200 - 1000 mm FFE - Nikon P510
    Juvenile cattle tyrant
    Very nice, that series of camera is improving from previous versions.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

John,
    Really, nowadays the superzoom cameras are an option to take photos of distant subjects.
    Thank you very much for seeing and for your comment.
    Antonio.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Hat View Post
    John,
    Really, nowadays the superzoom cameras are an option to take photos of distant subjects.
    Thank you very much for seeing and for your comment.
    Antonio.
    Antonio,

I have the P90 with max 650mm focal length, sometimes I get good images, sometimes not. It's mostly the autofocus system that prevents me from getting images as sharp as yours at maximum zoom. I have two friends who have the P500 and I noticed the better performance levels on theirs at maximum zoom.

Real Name
    Antonio Luz

John,
    The P510 autofocus is slow and sometimes it is fooled by the background.
    Because this, I'm thinking of buying a DSLR.
    Do you have a DSLR? Which brand / model? The autofocus works quickly and well?
    Antonio.

Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

Hi Antônio. Nice shot. You are making great use of your P510. I like that... Cheers,

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Antonio,

Given the P510's lack of RAW, something like this is about as good as I think we can get from the P510 for such a subject and distance. I think this is better than anything I have managed.

Do you have a DSLR? Which brand / model? The autofocus works quickly and well?
    Almost any proper DSLR (i.e. with an optical viewfinder and focus system) is going to perform waaaaay better than a bridge camera - just got to any shop and try one, any one - and you'll see what I mean - I was blown away by my D5000 AF after my previous bridge camera (a Fuji S6500). I can't speak for the mirror-less system cameras, I have insufficient experience.

As we have both discovered, getting a 'good' picture (like this) is possible, but you need good light; quantity, quality and sympathetic angle to the subject and the subject against a nothing background in order to successfully, if slowly, achieve AF.

Even then, if you crop in PP, noise and jpg artefacts will begin to be noticeable.

Is this better than a DSLR at say 450mm (i.e. 300mm x 1.5 c/f), then cropped even more in PP, well yes, it certainly can be.

So if you go the DSLR route, you and your subject will need to be a lot closer together.

I am torn between whether the Panasonic FZ200, with a constant f/2.8 aperture, allowing much faster shutter speeds, albeit at 600mm FFE might be better than the Canon SX50HS with 1200mm FFE, but a similarly slow lens as the P510. I think both have the advantage of RAW, which should allow better PP.

However, my next purchases will be the 10-24mm lens and a D7100 body.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 26th March 2013 at 12:23 AM.