Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Nature, nature...

  1. #1
    Panama Hat & Camera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rio de janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    443
    Real Name
    Antonio

    Nature, nature...

    The Jurubatiba Sandbank National Park is a national park in the Brazilian state of Rio de Janeiro. The park has approximately 44 kilometres (27 miles) of sandbank coast and its area is 148.6 km² (58 square miles).
    I went there primarily to photograph birds, but I found very little of them, and to not miss the trip, I photographed what I found (flowers, birds and insects).
    C&C are welcome, as always.
    Antonio.

    #1 - Flower with thorns (I don't know the name. Someone can help?) - 1/800, f/4.6, ISO 100, 185 mm FFE (P510).
    Nature, nature...

    #2 - 1/400, f/4.6, ISO 100, 225 mm FFE (P510).
    Nature, nature...

    #3 - Chalk-browed Mockingbird - 1/640, f/5.9, ISO 100, 1000 mm FFE (P510).
    Nature, nature...

    #4 - Water lily (Nymphaea) - 1/500, f/5.9, ISO 100, 1000 mm FFE (P510).
    Nature, nature...

    #5 - Because of the distance, I thought they were two parrots on the flower, but they were two leaves - 1/500, f/5.9, ISO 180, 1000 mm FFE (P510).
    Nature, nature...

    #6 - Frigate (because of the distance, the details are not very good) - 1/500, f/5.7, ISO 100, 750 mm FFE (P510).
    Nature, nature...

    #7 - 1/800; f/5.9; ISO 100; 250 mm FFE (P510).
    Nature, nature...

    #8 - Dragonfly - 1/1000; f/5.9, ISO 100, 1000 mm FFE (P510).
    Nature, nature...

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    11,798

    Re: Nature, nature...

    It all works for me, Antonio.

    I just wonder if #3 is a fraction on the green side? Might be my monitor though. And I would clone out that very small area of branch in the bottom left corner.

  3. #3
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    31,129
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Nature, nature...

    Nice assortment of nature shots.

  4. #4
    Panama Hat & Camera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rio de janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    443
    Real Name
    Antonio

    Re: Nature, nature...

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    It all works for me, Antonio.

    I just wonder if #3 is a fraction on the green side? Might be my monitor though. And I would clone out that very small area of branch in the bottom left corner.
    Geoff,
    I've cloned out the little branch and I corrected the colour. I think that is better now. What do you think?
    Thanks for viewing and for your comments.
    Antonio.

    #3 - Chalk-browed Mockingbird - 1/640, f/5.9, ISO 100, 1000 mm FFE (P510).
    Nature, nature...

  5. #5
    Panama Hat & Camera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rio de janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    443
    Real Name
    Antonio

    Re: Nature, nature...

    John,
    Thank you very much for viewing and for your comment.
    Antonio.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario (mostly)
    Posts
    6,625
    Real Name
    Bobo

    Re: Nature, nature...

    All look reasonably good.

    Perhaps a couple of points to note for the future.

    - get as close as you possibly can to your subjects. Fill the frame if you can.
    - use that 1000mm to good effect, it does/should not be used to draw infinity objects closer but closer objects even closer.
    - do not just stick to ISO 100. Most modern cameras can handle noise pretty well up to ISO 800. Use that to increase your shutter speed.
    - use some + exposure compensation for dark objects against bright backgrounds to bring out the details (eg the dragonfly and mockingbird).

  7. #7
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Nature, nature...

    Hello Antonio, I agree with all of Bobo's suggestions. I would add that photographing a plant such as the cactus from above doesn't work well. The dragonfly is a good image, I would try to open the shadows in post processing. It appears you were on the side away from where the light was. Always if possible have the sun to your back. Regarding the image of the Mockingbird I would want it to be larger in the image straight from the camera which means getting closer to the bird. I like the angle you shot the Water Lily at, that is an angle that will work well with plants and flowers. The Frigate Bird fills the frame nicely but it appears crowded towards the left hand side... leave more room there if possible. With a bird flying straight at you putting the bird in the center of the frame works best, where as the head is cocked slightly to the right I would position the head just left of center.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    11,798

    Re: Nature, nature...

    Much better blue sky with #3 now, Antonio.

  9. #9
    Panama Hat & Camera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rio de janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    443
    Real Name
    Antonio

    Re: Nature, nature...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    All look reasonably good.

    Perhaps a couple of points to note for the future.

    - get as close as you possibly can to your subjects. Fill the frame if you can.
    - use that 1000mm to good effect, it does/should not be used to draw infinity objects closer but closer objects even closer.
    - do not just stick to ISO 100. Most modern cameras can handle noise pretty well up to ISO 800. Use that to increase your shutter speed.
    - use some + exposure compensation for dark objects against bright backgrounds to bring out the details (eg the dragonfly and mockingbird).
    Bobo,
    Thanks for your comments. I'll try to follow your advice on my next photographic excursion.
    I changed the cactus flower photo and I made some PP corrections in three photos (mockingbird, frigate and dragonfly). I would like to know your opinions about the photos.
    Greetings,
    Antonio.
    Last edited by Panama Hat & Camera; 19th March 2013 at 01:39 AM.

  10. #10
    Panama Hat & Camera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rio de janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    443
    Real Name
    Antonio

    Re: Nature, nature...

    Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Hello Antonio, I agree with all of Bobo's suggestions. I would add that photographing a plant such as the cactus from above doesn't work well. The dragonfly is a good image, I would try to open the shadows in post processing. It appears you were on the side away from where the light was. Always if possible have the sun to your back. Regarding the image of the Mockingbird I would want it to be larger in the image straight from the camera which means getting closer to the bird. I like the angle you shot the Water Lily at, that is an angle that will work well with plants and flowers. The Frigate Bird fills the frame nicely but it appears crowded towards the left hand side... leave more room there if possible. With a bird flying straight at you putting the bird in the center of the frame works best, where as the head is cocked slightly to the right I would position the head just left of center.
    Joe,
    Thanks for your feedback. I'll try to follow your advice on my next photographic excursion.
    I changed the cactus flower photo and I made some PP corrections in three photos (mockingbird, frigate and dragonfly). I would like to know your opinions about the photos.
    Regards,
    Antonio.

    #9 - Flower with thorns (I don't know the name. Someone can help?) - 1/1000, f/4.4, ISO 100, 156 mm FFE (P510).
    Nature, nature...

    #3 - Chalk-browed Mockingbird - 1/640, f/5.9, ISO 100, 1000 mm FFE (P510).
    Nature, nature...

    #6 - Frigate (because of the distance, the details are not very good) - 1/500, f/5.7, ISO 100, 750 mm FFE (P510).
    Nature, nature...

    #8 - Dragonfly - 1/1000; f/5.9, ISO 100, 1000 mm FFE (P510).
    Nature, nature...

  11. #11
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,326
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Nature, nature...

    Hi Antonio,

    If I have one observation as a whole in this series, it is that you tend to not crop in PP.

    I (almost) always crop to get it perfect for the image, but then my use for it is exclusively on line viewing - if you intend to print, then sticking to a standard aspect ratio makes more sense.

    I read the thread and replied before you posted more updated images in post #10.

    #1 crop square, or close to it.
    At the time of shooting, if it were possible to move back the leaves causing the other shadows which lead the eye out of the top of frame, that would have been worth doing.

    #2 same here, biassed a bit to the right so as to exclude that leave top left.

    #3 the revised version is better, I like the way the branches frame the bird.
    If mine; I would crop about 5% off left edge and clone out the stub branch pointing up at the bird too.
    I appreciate the branches might be slightly tinged with moss, but it still looks a bit green to me (e.g. on the bird's plumage - unless that's how it is)

    #4 is possibly a touch over exposed on the petals?
    If mine, I'd try a crop losing a bit from the bottom edge and right side to concentrate attention on the bloom, this would still leave the two lower corner leaves, but remove the one across the centre bottom edge.

    #5 I would lose a lot off the lower edge and a bit from the left, plus clone out the remaining bit of the diagonal grass blade on left and the bit intruding on right edge.

    #6 It is possible to add a bit of blue sky to the left edge to balance things better

    #7 The composition doesn't really work for me I'm afraid, if you crop off the blank area on the left, it just becomes too central.

    #8 I would crop this to position it a bit lower and further left in the composition, but it is my favourite.

    Hope that helps,

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario (mostly)
    Posts
    6,625
    Real Name
    Bobo

    Re: Nature, nature...

    Dave has said everything, and better, then what I was going to.

    Dragon - that is the most improved shot. I would bring it down a bit though.

  13. #13
    Panama Hat & Camera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rio de janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    443
    Real Name
    Antonio

    Re: Nature, nature...

    Dave,
    Thank you very much for your comments.
    You helped me very much.
    Regards,
    Antonio.

  14. #14
    Rhoads238's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    505
    Real Name
    Jason

    Re: Nature, nature...

    For the first shot of the cactus, I think i would have liked to have seen the shot taken from maybe one inch above the ground comparing its short stature to the even smaller sprout.

  15. #15
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Nature, nature...

    Hello Antonio, your edits are much better. I like what you have done.

  16. #16
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,326
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Nature, nature...

    Quote Originally Posted by Panama Hat View Post
    Dave,
    Thank you very much for your comments.
    You helped me very much.
    Regards,
    Antonio.
    My pleasure Antonio,

    #9 - I like this one, I would, if mine, crop about 5% off the right hand side, just to arrange the cactus a little off centre with the other plant balancing it top left.

    #3 Take 3 - the closer crop works for me, although I'd have left just a bit more across top and bottom edges

    #6 - better left/right position, I would lose 10% off the top now, to place the bird nearer the top third. How did you do that well with the P510 AF - this is much better than my attempts.

    #8 - yes that exposure is much better

    I should try harder with my P510 this year

  17. #17
    Otavio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    2,467
    Real Name
    Otávio Oliveira

    Re: Nature, nature...

    Hello, Antônio. I would say something similar to what others have (very well) mentioned above but, after your edits, the images look a lot better, IMO! I liked all of them. To me, the only thing that does not work well is the messy background on #2, but small sensors will give you a significantly larger DoF, making the "Bokeh" a difficult task, sometimes.

    Summary: Great job with a superzoom camera, showing us a very nice environment! Keep shooting and sharing!

    PS.: The cactus on #2 is a Melocactus Zehentneri, popularly known here as "monk´s head" (http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/MEL...zehentneri.htm)

    Cheers...
    Last edited by Otavio; 19th March 2013 at 09:38 PM.

  18. #18
    Panama Hat & Camera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rio de janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    443
    Real Name
    Antonio

    Re: Nature, nature...

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhoads238 View Post
    For the first shot of the cactus, I think i would have liked to have seen the shot taken from maybe one inch above the ground comparing its short stature to the even smaller sprout.
    Jason,
    Thanks to Otavio, now I know the name of the cactus flower: it's "cabeça de frade" (monk's head) . Unhappily, I don't have another photo of the flower, but you can find it on

    http://www.google.com.br/search?q=ca...w=1317&bih=647

    or simply serching (on Google): "cabeça de frade" or "cabeca de frade".

    Thanks for viewing and for your comments.
    Greetings,
    Antonio.

  19. #19
    Panama Hat & Camera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rio de janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    443
    Real Name
    Antonio

    Re: Nature, nature...

    Quote Originally Posted by Otavio View Post
    Hello, Antônio. I would say something similar to what others have (very well) mentioned above but, after your edits, the images look a lot better, IMO! I liked all of them. To me, the only thing that does not work well is the messy background on #2, but small sensors will give you a significantly larger DoF, making the "Bokeh" a difficult task, sometimes.

    Summary: Great job with a superzoom camera, showing us a very nice environment! Keep shooting and sharing!

    PS.: The cactus on #2 is a Melocactus Zehentneri, popularly known here as "monk´s head" (http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/MEL...zehentneri.htm)

    Cheers...
    Otavio,
    My compact equipment has some limitations, but the major limitation in my photo gear is ME!
    Thank you very much for viewing, for your encouraging words and for telling me the name of the cactus flower.
    Greetings,
    Antonio.

  20. #20
    Panama Hat & Camera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rio de janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    443
    Real Name
    Antonio

    Re: Nature, nature...

    Dave, Joe and Bobo (THE PHOTOGRAPHERS),
    Thank you for spending your time looking at my photos.
    Your comments are very important to me.
    Sincerely,
    Antonio.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •