Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Industrial light and magic

Real Name
    Espen

Industrial light and magic

This is from my Flickr, so the full image is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/6368502...n/photostream/ with all the EXIF, but the small size is better I think, as it was handheld with my D90 and 15mm (now on full frame).

Apart from the shakiness, any comments?

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Industrial light and magic

Interesting subject and light. I find the way the Radission pops out on the right a bit distracting.

Real Name
    Lex

I'm guessing this is an HDR image? I like it, especially the train tracks aimed at the city, but the shadows don't look deep enough. I'd try some combination of darkening the shadow-exposure layer (assuming it's HDR), increasing contrast, or raising the black clipping point. A little extra saturation might help, too. There are lots of great colors here that could use a little extra punch.

Shooting from a lower angle would have made the far distance appear further away. But I am assuming this was impossible; or too dangerous!

Everything seems rather 'square' but I don't really have any problems with that.

So yes, I like it.

Real Name
    Andrew

I like the image too, and think that you've processed it quite well, but it leaves me with a bit of an uneasy feeling that everything is tilting to the right - maybe it's just an optical illusion because of all the straight lines?

Nice shot.

Real Name
    Espen

Thanks for the feedback!

Not HDR, no. Perhaps a bit too sharpened? It was challenging to make it pop and still make a decent exposure. It might have become a tad flat. Slightly straightened (rotated with the ruler tool a couple of degrees), but possibly a bit eh... not straight on the horisontal axis if I make myself clear.

A tripod would be a cool thing to have now and then.

Not even remotely possible to get lower, as that would make me break a billion laws and would include me hanging outside the railings and upside down over the electrical rails at the central railway station in Oslo. :P

As to it being square, yeah, I see what you mean. I will try more shots from the same vantage point with my newly aquired full frame frame (moma, I'm home again!) and see what effect an even wider angle of view gives. Even half a meter of movement in my position and a slight rotation can yield something different at 15 mm.

Real Name
    John

Very nicely composed.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Espen, I like the image you created. I think these type of industrial landscapes are interesting to look at. I also agree with some of the suggestions to make it into a stronger photograph. The only thing I don't like is the Radisson popping out. It makes your photo look unbalanced.

karm