Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Canon Lens Noise

  1. #1
    chapin333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Stoke on Trent originally from Cambridge
    Posts
    24
    Real Name
    Sue

    Canon Lens Noise

    Hi Everybody
    I brought a new Canon 70-300mm lens , however, when I used it after taking a couple shots, the was a slight wiring noise when the image stabiliser was on, but not present when turned off. Long story short , I phoned Canon technical helpline, who explained that there is a gyroscope in the lens which does produce a faint noise when in use.

    I wasn't expecting this as I hadn't read about it in any of the reviews I had read before purchasing. Canon said they wouldn't replace or fix the lens as this is how it should behave.

    I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this?
    Thanks.
    Regards
    Sue

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    396
    Real Name
    Yes

    Re: Canon Lens Noise

    Yes - but it does vary with lens, some are quite noisy others almost silent. Some make a click as you press the shutter and the IS starts up.

  3. #3
    mknittle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    auburn california
    Posts
    2,233
    Real Name
    mark

    Re: Canon Lens Noise

    I have 2 that click one is a only week old the other a couple years. It took some getting used to but I don't notice it now.

    Otherwise do you like the lens? I have heard it is a good one.

  4. #4
    RustBeltRaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    1,009
    Real Name
    Lex

    Re: Canon Lens Noise

    My 28-135mm USM IS and 55-250mm EF-S IS both make noises when IS is on. Bugged me out a bit at first, since they're both refurbs, but it appears to be normal, and I've had no trouble.

  5. #5
    chapin333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Stoke on Trent originally from Cambridge
    Posts
    24
    Real Name
    Sue

    Re: Canon Lens Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    My 28-135mm USM IS and 55-250mm EF-S IS both make noises when IS is on. Bugged me out a bit at first, since they're both refurbs, but it appears to be normal, and I've had no trouble.

  6. #6
    chapin333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Stoke on Trent originally from Cambridge
    Posts
    24
    Real Name
    Sue

    Re: Canon Lens Noise

    I'm just relieved its not a fault , I'm off to Norfolk in a couple of weeks
    So I'll give it a good test.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment
    : )

  7. #7
    chapin333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Stoke on Trent originally from Cambridge
    Posts
    24
    Real Name
    Sue

    Re: Canon Lens Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
    I have 2 that click one is a only week old the other a couple years. It took some getting used to but I don't notice it now.

    Otherwise do you like the lens? I have heard it is a good one.

  8. #8
    chapin333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Stoke on Trent originally from Cambridge
    Posts
    24
    Real Name
    Sue

    Re: Canon Lens Noise

    I'll let u know after my trip and maybe post an image

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gujarat, India
    Posts
    171
    Real Name
    Bedanta

    Re: Canon Lens Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by chapin333 View Post
    Hi Everybody
    I brought a new Canon 70-300mm lens , however, when I used it after taking a couple shots, the was a slight wiring noise when the image stabiliser was on, but not present when turned off. Long story short , I phoned Canon technical helpline, who explained that there is a gyroscope in the lens which does produce a faint noise when in use.

    I wasn't expecting this as I hadn't read about it in any of the reviews I had read before purchasing. Canon said they wouldn't replace or fix the lens as this is how it should behave.

    I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this?
    Thanks.
    Regards
    Sue
    I bought the same lens last year and experienced the same noise produced by the IS. Have got used to it by now as it does not affect the performance of the lens in any way. Hope you will enjoy your trip with the new purchase.

  10. #10
    chapin333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Stoke on Trent originally from Cambridge
    Posts
    24
    Real Name
    Sue

    Re: Canon Lens Noise

    thank you, I'm sure I'l have a lot of fun with it

  11. #11
    Moderator GrumpyDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    12,354
    Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

    Re: Canon Lens Noise

    Carefully said, there are gyroscopes, or more properly, accelerometers which are solid state devices that are used to measure movement in the camera. These devices make no noise at all. What does make the noise is that there is a floating optical element (lens) inside the lens itself and actuators (a fancy name for a fairly basic electric motor) that moves the floating element to counteract any lens motion. This is what you hear when the IS has been turned on

  12. #12
    chapin333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Stoke on Trent originally from Cambridge
    Posts
    24
    Real Name
    Sue

    Re: Canon Lens Noise

    Well back from Norfolk, luckily we had good weather, my Canon lens performed very well and I didn't notice the noise at all, not had chance to look at results yet, but if anything is good enough I'll post something here.
    Thanks again for all your comments

  13. #13
    Zora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    N.Vancouver but soon to be permanent in Cost Rica
    Posts
    17
    Real Name
    Roz

    Re: Canon Lens Noise

    How did you find the lens for telephoto? I have the same one and took it to CR for a month. Found it great for macro shots of creatures on the beach and for butterflies and birds that were relatively near. For the longer shots the results were a little soft and I was disappointed not to get a decent photo of a toucan. I think that big beak makes them a little shy. It would me!

    To be honest I didn't notice any undue noise - mine seems pretty quiet but I am wondering if it might need calibrating as I bought it used. I'd be interested in seeing some of your longer shots if you get around to it.

    Roz

  14. #14
    chapin333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Stoke on Trent originally from Cambridge
    Posts
    24
    Real Name
    Sue

    Re: Canon Lens Noise

    Hi Roz
    I haven't noticed any soft focus, I had a quick look at some of my images
    And I'm pleased with the results, I'll post a couple when processed
    Cheers

  15. #15
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    29,200
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Canon Lens Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by chapin333 View Post
    I'm just relieved its not a fault , I'm off to Norfolk in a couple of weeks
    So I'll give it a good test.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment
    : )
    When it starts vibration so aggressively that it will not take a photo then you have a faulty lens, if it doesn't affect your shot then you should be ok. i had that issue with a lens, had to have it repaired, luckily i had an extended warranty on it when it occurred.

  16. #16
    chapin333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Stoke on Trent originally from Cambridge
    Posts
    24
    Real Name
    Sue

    Re: Canon Lens Noise

    Thanks shadowman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •