Thread: Luminesque filters

Real Name
    James

Luminesque filters

A question for all of you

Does anyone know who makes luminesque filters, and are they junk? I am buying a lens from B&H and they include a "Luminesque 77mm UV and Circular Polarizer Multi Coated Pro Filter Kit" as a freebee (see link to product below)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mm_f_2_8G.html

Because it's a freebee I know the quality can't be that great, I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with these filters - all I really want to do is protect my glass so the UV is really all i am really thinking about, but if it's junk I don't want it on the end of a 2000.00 $ lens. On the other hand if it is good, I don't want to spend 100 bucks (or whatever) for a B&H.

Has anyone out there in picture land had any experience with these filters, or heard any reports? Thanks for the input.
    James

Real Name
    Charles

Re: Luminesque filters

James,

As it's a freebee it won't hurt to throw it in the bin. However, if it were me, I would put my camera on a tripod (with any lens on of course) and take some photos of a brick wall, at different apertures, with and without the filter in place. Review the resulting images as large as you can on your computer, and judge for yourself if there are any noticeable differences between the "with filter" and "without filter" shots. Good luck!

Charles

Real Name
    Dave

...... what Charles said

Never heard of luminesque

I understand that Hoya make 80% of the filter glass in the world, even supplying (glass) to some other well known brands, so you never know ..... you might be surprised. If it's a cheap 3rd party brand it's possible that it might just have basic level Hoya glass in it. If it's trash then ditch it.

We'd be interested in seeing the results though.

Dave B.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Yep it's free so won't hurt to try

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Interesting that if you click on the description and dive a bit deeper, it show that these filters have alumimum hardware (okay, but not as good as brass) but use Schott glass (premium optical glass maker owned by Carl Zeiss). I would certainly give these a try.

I wonder if these are a B&H "house brand" that they source from one of the filter manufacturers.