Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Wooden Path

Real Name
    Ali

The Wooden Path

Comments welcome, as always. Thanks!

The Wooden Path

Re: The Wooden Path

Cool... The colors almost have a pastel quality to them. I'm glad you didn't make them more vidid. Either the camera was pointed slightly down or that path is fairly steep. Either way, it creates a very interesting path for your eyes to travel across the scene. I like it. Great job =)
    Last edited by KentDub; 4th November 2009 at 03:52 AM.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by KentDub View Post
    Cool... The colors almost have a pastel quality to them. I'm glad you didn't make them more vidid. Either the camera was pointed slightly down or that path if fairly steep. Either way, it creates a very interesting path for your eyes to travel across the scene. I like it. Great job =)

Thanks, Kent!

Alis,

This is a nice shot, I especially like the path with the beautiful colors. I feel that the upper part of the photo with the sky seems unnecessary. I would crop that part altogether and make a square framed photo, which probably gives a focus on the path and colors.

Cheers,

Yan

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Alis,

I'd love to see the steam engine that uses this track

It must be quite heavy as they have the sleepers so close together, but also a short wheel base to get round those sharp, if gentle, bends!

I came to this after seeing Sahil's "track in tunnel" shot in the Mini Comp., so that's my excuse!

Quite a few leaves on the track, sorry path.

Nice shot, although I would have been tempted to stand a little further to right and get both rails/path edges coming out of the bottom of frame. Now I'm not saying I (or you) would have been right to do that, as I am sure it would give a different (and not necessarily improved) feel to the picture, it's just my temptation.

It does look very naturally coloured though, as Kent says.
    Well done.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Yan Zhang View Post
    Alis,

I feel that the upper part of the photo with the sky seems unnecessary. I would crop that part altogether and make a square framed photo, which probably gives a focus on the path and colors.

Cheers,

Yan
    Thanks, Yan! I agree, I actually did that crop too, althougth it was a horizontal frame and not square, but since there is nothing nice around the path, I decided to do it this way. When I go home, I will try that and post it here.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Alis,

I'd love to see the steam engine that uses this track

It must be quite heavy as they have the sleepers so close together, but also a short wheel base to get round those sharp, if gentle, bends!

I came to this after seeing Sahil's "track in tunnel" shot in the Mini Comp., so that's my excuse!

Quite a few leaves on the track, sorry path.

Nice shot, although I would have been tempted to stand a little further to right and get both rails/path edges coming out of the bottom of frame. Now I'm not saying I (or you) would have been right to do that, as I am sure it would give a different (and not necessarily improved) feel to the picture, it's just my temptation.

It does look very naturally coloured though, as Kent says.
    Well done.

Cheers,
    Thanks, Dave! As you know, there is not train! This is a path for mostly people with strollers, as the ground is sort of marshy.

About the angle, I think that is a good idea and I might try it later this week if I go back. The good thing is that we still have leaves on the trees and the place is a few blocks from where I live!

About the colors, I am still struggling to get the white balance right, but I definitely did not try to increase the saturation. I think I need to buy a WB card.

Thanks, again!

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    About the colors, I am still struggling to get the white balance right, but I definitely did not try to increase the saturation. I think I need to buy a WB card.
    Even though raw affords you the ability to adjust white ballance after the fact, I have found my new white/gray combo card invaluable. There is rarly something completely neutral in a scene that you can eyedropper off of, so that leaves it to just playing with the sliders until it looks right. This is fine for creative effects, but a bit frusterating when you simply want accurate colors across the majority of your shots. It's a cheap accessory, and well worth it The bonus of a grey card on the flip side of my whitecard has been very helpful to me as well