Thread: Creativity - I keep coming back to this

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Creativity - I keep coming back to this

Good morning all,
    Another thread asked for input from creative people. I had been thinking about creativity early in the day.
    From my point of view (and happy to hear others), when I am wanting to take an image I can think of it in three parts.
    1. Technical - all the in-camera stuff, even the multitude of 'guidelines' (rule of thirds, leading lines and so on). Also post processing (crop/exposure/colour, cloning (removal and addition), dodging/burning and so on).
    2. Creative - coming up with the concept in the first place or being able to see the shot at all.
    3. Staging and preparation - locating suitable props, finding locations, make-up, wardrobe.

The main field I so want to improve in is people photography in it's many guises.

I am good at the first part, and using the first I can almost guarantee that I can take a shot better than 'Uncle Fred' - and for most people/clients, that is good enough.
    Second part - I can see many simple concepts, but I struggle with anything more major - often because of my failings of how to make the image work (part 3).
    Third part - so bad at that, it's not funny.

I find I can use available props/locations and come up with traditional shots, normal poses. I can do research on-line and come up with many normal examples. Perhaps I need to work on those more so they become more instinctive before trying to up the ante.
    Is it best to work with a team? MUA, wardrobe and so on rather than try to do it all myself? Would you approach local stores with requests to use their products (TFP)?

Graham
    Frustrated - and wanting to improve.
    My thoughts haven't fully gelled, so apologies for rambling and incoherence.

Real Name
    mark

Re: Creativity - I keep coming back to this

I too am not so good at #3 Stadged images are tough to make look like they are natural.
    Sometimes working with a small "team" is helpfull. We do it a lot in our bonsai club, often other people see things that you missed. That leads to ideas that you would have not had working alone.

Also be mindfull of trying too hard. that can become a mind block.One thing at a time then the next. But what do I know

Real Name
    Paul

Graham, my one difference if writing the same list is in #1. While I too have all these rules....I like to add creativity in and break those rules at times. The so called rules give a nice straight forward image however breaking them can lead to some amazingly different intrigueing images. Although the keeper rate drops out of the bottom of the bucket.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

I thought an example of what I mean may be suitable.
    Attended a cricket match yesterday. Here's one the my initial ideas (before the event).
    Somewhat obvious and not too difficult to do. Technical difficulty - easy enough with right tools (long lens and high fps).
    Creativity - low, no staging.
    Creativity - I keep coming back to this

My stuff is just so tame - yet the response from the cricket club was WOW.

What I would like to do.
    While I know roughly how to do it, WAY WAY above my level.
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/24791147
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/25227020

Great wardrobe - where do people find this kinda stuff
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/17596250
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/6729029
    Lot's more I don't want to bore you with.

What am I missing? Brain
    Graham

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Great wardrobe - where do people find this kinda stuff
    Many models, especially women, have fantastic stuff in their wardrobes that never sees the light of day. Encourage them to be a little more adventurous, dig deep, and bring multiple outfits to a shoot, and you may be surprised by how far you can get.