Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: What do you think of this.

Real Name
    Steve

What do you think of this.

It is marble and didn't look so real in reality. So maybe it is possible to explain the shadow, but it is fixed in all images and I move, but what about the red and blue and yellow?

The white balance was done on a card, and anyway it looks real.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: What do you think of this.

Hi Arith,

Hmmm, I think it is a shadow of some kind.

The colour differences due to the main illumination being one colour temp., but the light 'filling' the shadow being a different colour temp.

My first thought when you said it was fixed was that it was the lens (or its hood) obscuring the on camera flash, but a) I've never seen it quite that bad, certainly not at 28mm (as EXIF suggests) and b) the EXIF also says the flash didn't fire.

If you hadn't been so adamant the shadow was fixed while you moved, I'd say it is definitely your shadow. It's not that the things you took pictures of were all spot lit from behind is it? Thus casting a consistent shadow. Clutching at straws really - bizarre.

The illumination levels are not so greatly different, so it might not have been very obvious to the naked eye.

Cheers,

Arith
    It is a flash shadow
    I did some quick tests with my 28mm lenses and the 10D onboard flash
    which lens did you use;as I can reproduce the same shadow with my 28/70-2.8L
    using the onboard flash.
    the reason for this is the low angle of the 10D's flash.

John

Real Name
    Steve

I didn't use a flash; it is HDR although the ev span was not great at about 8 I think, mostly I do it just in case and to practice not moving the camera when fiddling with the dials. I think it could be the camera because it is close.

This is the light, don't ask about the blue lightning it beats me;

I have only the 28mm prime which I use mostly at f8 because it is good at that; it is a small neat bit of kit for the price.