Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Two B&W Candids -- a local and a tourist

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Two B&W Candids -- a local and a tourist

Both of these photos were captured in Jerusalem in 2010 and converted today. C&C encouraged, as always.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Two B&W Candids -- a local and a tourist

Both are good and the conversion suits each. Having said that, I like the higher contrast of #1.

Thanks, Paul!

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Both are good and the conversion suits each. Having said that, I like the higher contrast of #1.
    I'm no b&w expert, though the second one does appear a little bland to me. FWIW, I generally start adjusting b&w's so the histogram is touching both ends of the spectrum, them tweak from there. In this case with the woman, would most likely not leave that much contrast in the image, would probably be too harsh for her.

Considering the comments about contrast, it might be helpful to explain my perspective about that. I think there is a tendency for people to prefer high-contrast images when they are monochromes, just as there is a tendency to prefer highly saturated, warm images when they are color photos. I like high-contrast monochromes when the scene calls for it as much as anyone. However, when the scene calls for lower contrast, I like that as well.

When I initially post-processed the second photo, I felt that it called for lower contrast. After seeing the comments in the thread, I decided to try an approach with higher contrast and was surprised that I preferred it. So, maybe you folks prefer the version shown below.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Definitely prefer the first treatment on the lady. The second is far too harsh. It is probably just me, but skin tone and texture is of paramount importance in a portrait, it is the first thing I look for. The high contrast image of the women is almost devoid of any.

On the same topic; is there any way to reduce the highlights on the nose forehead and (subjects) left cheek to bring out more detail?

The capture of expression and thus the human interest in the images is very good.

Does this work better for you, Trevor? I don't specialize in portraiture, so I don't have a particularly informed opinion about it. As a result, I have few confirmed feelings about what I like and don't like in this photo.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Does this work better ...
    I still prefer the original image of this lady. I think the more gentle tones in that one worked well.

Real Name
    Andrea

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I still prefer the original image of this lady. I think the more gentle tones in that one worked well.
    I agree.

in your original image there is a subtle tone separation among the skin, the coat and the wall in the background popping-up the lady face surrounded by the hairs. Her eyes fix the main point of the picture. In the other two images all this is lost, or drastically reduced.

Cheers
    Andrea

I think I'll have to live with this one a lot longer and develop a stronger feeling of what I'm looking for before I come to a final conclusion. Thanks to all for sharing your ideas!

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I am with Donald on this one. The first. Maybe even a little less on the bright side and lower highlights to bring out the texture?

However my critiquing Black and White or portraits is a bit risky as I haven't much of a clue about either. As the saying goes "I don't know much about art but I know what I like". How to get to the proper finished product is another matter.