Thread: Sculpture in the garden

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Sculpture in the garden

I was visiting at the home of a good friend who spends countless hours doing the landscaping and maintaining it. I took a break from the food, wine and great conversation with everyone to do some photography. Captured in August 2009 and converted to black-and-white today.

C&C encouraged, though I have no questions to ask.

Sculpture in the garden

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Sculpture in the garden

That's all about tones and textures and is a wonderful example of how B & W is the way to display those. I'm sure it may have been a very nice colour image, but then it would have been about colour and not the varying textures that we can explore in this version.

It's a good one to demonstrate the lesson - If you want colour, go for colour. If you want to show off texture, B & W is the route to go.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Sculpture in the garden

The tones were there in the color version but not as much as in the black-and-white version. This photo perhaps explores tones more than any other photo I have made.

The color version actually has an unappealing aspect -- algae in the shadow areas of the sculpture. Just the opposite in the monochrome version, the algae helps define the contours of the sculpture.