Thread: Tripods on Hawaii Day Tour Flights

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Tripods on Hawaii Day Tour Flights

I'm leaving for a one week stay in Honolulu on Tuesday and will be taking a one day tour (leave morning, back to hotel same evening) to Big Island, and one more to Kauai. I can't seem to get a solid answer on whether I can carry my tripod onto the plane for those tours, or whether I'll have to check it. It all seems to be up to the security folks on duty at the time.

The tripod is a carbon fiber RRS 23" collapsed with ball head off. The best that I can determine from looking on forums, etc. is that the general rules for any Hawaiian Airlines flight should apply, which seems to say no, since their posted length limit is 14". I can check it ok since I have the box it came in, but I can't be carrying the box around all day, so there's another issue there ...

Does anyone have any experience/solutions with taking tripods on these one day tours? Thanks for any thoughts.

Lon

Real Name
    John

Re: Tripods on Hawaii Day Tour Flights

With most airlines, the tripod will be considered a carryon so if you have two small bags already you'll have to check the tripod. Also, some airlines are finicky about sizes, so if the tripod doesn't fit in the size constraints, again you will have to check it.

Real Name
    John

This is a link for United Airlines with size restrictions. Check your particular airline.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...eCarry-On.aspx

I have a bag for my tripod (21 inches) and have carried it onto several national and international flights with no problem. The bag can then be folded up to carry around more easily than a box. If you don't have a bag how about bubble wrapping/taping it. The either carry-on or check it if they wont allow it as carry-on.

Real Name
    Richard

I was refused to to be allowed carry on my monopod on a flight from Los Angeles to Anchorage, Alaska and had to put it in my checked-in lugage because, accoring to the TSA person, "It is a weapon-like instrument"...

On my way back from Anchorage (same airlines) I saw a guy carry a monopod through security to bring aboard the plane. I asked the security person who said, "Sure you can! People carry them aboard all the time!"

You figure that out IF YOU CAN!

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    You figure that out IF YOU CAN!
    Thanks Richard, that experience substantiates the impression I'm getting. Having several backup plans seems like a much better strategy.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Check out the TSA regulations. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they prohibit a tripod from being a carry-on, but it could be a little-known detail that some of the TSA agents don't know about. If the TSA regulations explicitly allow the tripod as a carry-on and if you want to carry it on, it could be helpful if you print that part of the regulations to show to the agents.

Real Name
    Terri

Lon, I was hoping you'd get an answer from one of our Hawaii residents but sounds like maybe that wouldn't even be reliable if they aren't consistent.

I look forward to seeing images from your trip. We are planning a trip to Hawaii in April - still figuring out where and how long. Have a great trip!

Real Name
    Lon Howard

A little update: I just spoke with the tour company that takes you from the hotel to the airport and then on to the tour all day. They're recommending don't try to take it on the plane because if you have to check it you won't have time to pick it up from baggage claim as the group goes straight from the plane to the bus. Richard's experience is well noted. I'm guessing even if you showed a copy of a regulation opposing the TSA agent, it would get you nowhere because well, you're not exactly making their day, showing them up in public and all ... Then, even if I was successful in the morning on the way over, I'd have to also get lucky again on the way back. In the end, the tripod being the equivalent of a mortgage payment, it's not so hard to decide what to do.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Howard View Post
    A little update: I just spoke with the tour company that takes you from the hotel to the airport and then on to the tour all day. They're recommending don't try to take it on the plane because if you have to check it you won't have time to pick it up from baggage claim as the group goes straight from the plane to the bus. Richard's experience is well noted. I'm guessing even if you showed a copy of a regulation opposing the TSA agent, it would get you nowhere because well, you're not exactly making their day, showing them up in public and all ... Then, even if I was successful in the morning on the way over, I'd have to also get lucky again on the way back. In the end, the tripod being the equivalent of a mortgage payment, it's not so hard to decide what to do.
    But aren't items that are refused at the gate put underneath at planeside and you collect either at planeside or on the walkway? If it doesn't meet the carryon dimension restrictions then don't try it, but if it meets it and you only have one other carryon then try it. That is after you make sure there are no rules against carrying the tripod in the first place.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Howard View Post
    I'm guessing even if you showed a copy of a regulation opposing the TSA agent, it would get you nowhere because well, you're not exactly making their day, showing them up in public and all ...
    True, but think of the fun all of us would have learning about your travails in the media the next day. Surely you didn't think I was making a helpful suggestion when such ulterior motives were at stake.

Real Name
    Robbie.

Lon.

We have put tripods in PVC plumbers pipe at work in the past, screw cap at one end the other fixed off. We travel domestically with them.

Two screws and a strap down the length so you can throw it over your shoulder while out all day, away you go.

Works a treat for under $10.

Robbie.

Real Name
    Kevin

I wouldn't count on any consistency from the TSA. I pack my photo kit exactly the same way every time, and sometimes it goes through the scanner without even pausing, and sometimes they take every single thing out and leave me to repack. I have always stuck my tripod in my larger suitcase just to reduce the possibility of last second adjustments.

Real Name
    Didace

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Check out the TSA regulations.
    TSA regulations are written so that there's always a "and anything else we feel like prohibiting, even if it is on the list as OK".

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    True, but think of the fun all of us would have learning about your travails in the media the next day. Surely you didn't think I was making a helpful suggestion when such ulterior motives were at stake.
    Thanks for revealing yourself, Mike. Were you - or are - a native American, your name is now changed to "He Who Bears Watching" !