Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Help! Tripod Purchase Advice Needed

Help! Tripod Purchase Advice Needed

Hi,
    I am looking to buy a new tripod.
    It needs to be very stable but not too heavy. must be suitable for outdoors - wildlife work, but portable enough to be used running around at weddings.
    I want to spend about £200.
    Please all suggestions and recommendations are needed and greatly appreciated.
    Ive heard gitzo are good.
    what do i need in teams of quick release plates/ball heads etc?
    help please!
    thank you
    pippa

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Help! Tripod Purchase Advice Needed

Hi Pippa,

Welcome to CiC

So in summary, you're looking at Light - Stable - Inexpensive - and good quality? That could be quite a challenge.

Gitzo are great quality - great stability, but never cheap. We had a bit of a discussion about tripods recently - you might like to have a read of this as a starting point. Additionally, have you read Sean's tutorial on tripods?

Hope this helps.

PS: What type of equipment do you need to support with it?

hi,
    thank you for getting back to me.
    I had a read of your recent discussion including your amazing pictures of the strength of your gitzo and i am utterly convinced of their strength and stability, but i do not know what model to buy. it seems in the UK it is possible to get some of their models for around £200 but im not sure if they are the same as yours or in the same category. i need it for portraiture work both in and outside the studio and for wildlife work so it needs to be utterly stable. it will be holding a canon 5D SLR and a range of lenses up to a 500mm tele, both with and without a flash unit on top.
    I read the tripod tutorial - thank you for that link also - and that's helped me settle on what head i want to get for the tripod, but i am flummoxed by the choice that there are for tripods out there. i was using someone else's for a long time, i think it was a manfrotto, but it was very old and so i cant simply go out and buy a comparable item.
    thank you for your help in advance!! it's much appreciated!!
    Pippa :-)

So you want cheap, lightweight, strong and stable all in one tripod. If only that was possible!

You are going to have to make do with some alternatives here. Carbon fibre fits everything except cheap. There are plenty of cheap lightweight tripods but they will wobble with a heavy camera and lens.

I use a Manfrotto 055X PROB tripod with one of their quick grip ball heads, 322RC2, which works fine with a 40D and a Sigma 150-500 lens but it isn't exactly cheap or lightweight. However, as prices go, it is reasonably well priced and although it can feel a bit heavy on a long walk I find the weight acceptable, for most of the time.

Here's a nature and landscape photography website that will help you choose if you decide to invest in a Gitzo:

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/home.php?cat=19

I own 3 Gitzos myself for everyday, heavy duty (for super telephoto and gimbal tripod head), and macro work. Much older models but built like a tank. Mine are taller than myself because I will actually sink them in lakes, streams, sand, snow, and etc. Also purchased the spike footings for my heavy duty and macro pods.

Manfrotto also has great tripods as well, and just as sturdy. Your choice in purchase will also effect the types of lenses you wish to use plus tripod heads. Once you go beyond a 300 2.8 range and up; Gimbal tripod heads (and the proper heavy duty tripods to match) are necessary.

Wimberley Head Version II or Jobo Designs (http://www.jobu-design.com/gimbals.html) which will be another financial hit to the wallet. There are other brands out there, but I happen to like these two brands better.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    Wimberley Head Version II or Jobo Designs (http://www.jobu-design.com/gimbals.html) which will be another financial hit to the wallet. There are other brands out there, but I happen to like these two brands better.
    If it helps, here's a link to the Wimberley head.

Tripods are really good investments, so I strongly recommend that you go to your local camera shop (that carries the brands you are interested in) and try them out than look them up online and purchase. A really good tripod will last you for as long as you continue to shoot, and/or a lifetime if properly cared for.

Tripods comes in either flip locks or twist locks, it's all personal preference. You should also consider if you want "quick release" locks (will also need to purchase quick release plates/brackets) for your camera body and lenses. Yes, I know. It's starting to look more bleak in regards to your wallet but a necessary evil.

Video explaining ball and gimbal heads (pan tilts are considered the in between of the two, not shown): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pY1V...c-HM-fresh+div
    Last edited by Amberglass; 30th October 2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: additional info

Real Name
    Steve

Manfrotto by Bogen ImagingB&H Kit
    190XPROB Tripod Legs (Black) with 804RC2 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head .................This is what i'm using, and it cost $214 at B&H Photo. I like it, very stabile, solid,and not too heavy. I like a pan tilt head over the ball head. You can get the same legs with the ball head for about the same money.