Thread: Beauty Through Movement

Real Name
    Sam

Beauty Through Movement

More of my ballet photo shoot. CC welcome and appreciated.

Beauty Through Movement

Beauty Through Movement

Beauty Through Movement

Beauty Through Movement

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Beauty Through Movement

I just love the second one. What an artistic way to drink from the water cooler!

Notice in the first and last photos that your post-processing created a strong halo that is unattractive around the dancer, especially the first one.

Great shots. I agree with Mike that image 2 is particularly good - and also that the halo detracts. Could be caused by over sharpening.

Real Name
    Sam

I didn't sharpen. I added another layer of light to create a stand out affect.

Real Name
    Lex

I like the 4th image best. Her concentration's palpable, and the cinder blocks are a welcome change from the usual mirrored dance studio, adding an element of grit. Noise is high (I'd imagine the hallway wasn't terribly well-lit), and the black-and-white conversion may not have been the best move here. Her skin and the wall are nearly the same tone, so her head and torso look a little separated. Can we see a color or partially-desaturated version?

Real Name
    Sam

I will Post a colour one next. I will call it "ballet in colour"
    please take a look

Real Name
    Andrew

Hi Sam, I've been looking at a few of your photos, some in other threads as well. I will make comments on specific photos in the other threads, but I had to ask a question - You've got some very serious artifacting issues going on with almost all of your photos. Do you mind if I ask how you're saving them, or what the file size is that you're trying to upload? Are you shooting in RAW, or at least Large JPEG?

I know I've run into a few problems with 'Tinypic' in the past, but not anything as severe as these.

It (for me) detracts so much from your work, that I am finding it difficult to comment, and offer advice.

Real Name
    Sam

They are RAW. I dont know whats happining

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by sambam View Post
    They are RAW. I don't know what's happening
    Hi Sam,

Can you tell us your workflow please, from camera download to uploading to TinyPic?

Are you applying any 'art' filters or effects?

I am wondering how the colour in the third above can have got so posterized?

Real Name
    Sam

Ok so I upload my compact flash card to my laptop. I save them then go through to find the best ones. If it needs it or if I want to I upload tona program to do colour or black and white. Some small sharpining. I then save to my computer. Tiny pic is next. If it helps, the program I was using was more for portraits. I just found this out. And the resize wasn't working right fir my laptop. Also, I've been having problems with my laptop and opening Elements. Thank you so much for your time and expertise.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Sam,

Can you get the RAW file of #3 above uploaded to say; DropBox, or MediaFire?
    Go to one of the websites, create a free account and upload, send me a link.
    They both make it fairly easy with step-by-step instructions even I could understand.

I'd like to see where you're starting from, have a go at developing one myself, let you see what I come up with and tell you exactly what steps I took - then maybe we can work out what's happening.

Thanks,

Real Name
    Michael

I assumed it was added tone and texture
    Michael