Thread: My First B&W photo

Real Name
    Divya

My First B&W photo

Hello Everyone

This is my first ever B&W photo that I have taken.I am a complete novice in B&W section. If any changes are to made please let me know

Thanks

My First B&W photo

Real Name
    Jim

Re: My First B&W photo

background is way too cluttered
    composition is oddly nearly symmetrical
    range of tone is too narrow

some tips:

watch your backgrounds
    artistic balance need not be even on both sides
    use fill flash or a reflector to increase the light and contrast

Real Name
    Shane

Divya; You have a good eye and the subject is good IMHO but I agree with the comment about about the cluttered background. As a relative beginner, this is something that I have been struggling with and paying more attention to in making my photographs.

Can you go out again as see if there is a different angle? I have in fact been to the same branch in my neighborhood twice now and haven't yet made the image that I want of it. We had a big rainstorm last night so it may not even be there today...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Try making a photo of the same plant using the same lens. Isolate the top right part of the plant so that the only thing that is behind it is a good distance away. Also make sure that part of the plant fills the frame. You'll have to get close to the plant to make that happen. Use a relatively small aperture (about f/16 or even smaller) to ensure that all of the plant is sharp. Thanks to being so close to the plant and the focal length you are using, the stuff in the distant background will still be blurred even though you're using a small aperture.

If you can capture the plant when it is strongly lit from behind, you might get some really nice lighting.

Before converting to black-and-white, examine the background closely. If any of it is brighter than the plant or contrasty in a way that is distracting, darken the bright areas. Then convert to black-and-white.

If you try all of the above, I think you'll probably produce a more satisfying image.

Real Name
    Divya

Thanks for the comments Jim, Shane and Mike . The weather is quite good , I will take another shot today