lanscape burton uk

Is this any good? f8 28mm HDR

lanscape burton uk

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: lanscape burton uk

Hi Arith,

It works for me.

My initial thought was 'why HDR it?' with so little highlights in view.

However, this looks really good, with great detail under the trees, but while remeaining natural looking, and the sky isn't blown. It may have looked considerably worse without the HDR treatment.

Definitely need to click the bar and view at the full 1000px width though, or it just looks too dark when smaller.

I like it,

Real Name
    Steve

Cheers; it didn't need to much HDR, it is just that I like to practice changing ev without shaking the camera. I think the true ev span was about 10 and although this can be handled by most dslr I think there would be more noise.

Real Name
    Ali

I am no expert but I think the shadows could get a little bit of help from that HDR you did. Although the sky is not blown, the bush near the steps is too dark. It may be on my monitor but overall I could be a little bit brighter I guess. But it is a very pleasing scene

Also to be really tough on you, I do not really understand the composition/crop. I am not sure where the focus should be or you wanted us to focus. You could definitely take care of the little pond or lake that shows up on the right lower side.
    Last edited by Alis; 28th October 2009 at 02:06 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

It is more than 2:1 ratio width: height now, the river is a problem because after stitching not enough of it was left; but I wanted the top of the steps although they are not as prominent as I would have liked.

Should have been closer but then I would need to do vertical panorama which is too difficult for me. The bush I can lighten more. cheers.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Should have been closer but then I would need to do vertical panorama which is too difficult for me.
    Hi Arith,

Did you capture these with the camera oriented horizontally or vertically?

Real Name
    Steve

I forgot to add my photo's usually drive people mad; I'm trying to immerse you into a scene and I've only been doing it for a short while.

I figured if you are there you have to look around; I'm not Carravagio and cannot guide you to a point of obscure meaning using perspective yet, well Carravagio is probably a bad example because most of his paintings are portraits.

I like to keep the aspect ratio down to around 16:9 to fit on a modern monitor and my pics look dark because that's the way I see it and I've got a HD monitor.

Ideally it would be closer to the steps but claustraphobic with the river in but slightly out of focus and the bend in the road darker and threatening the unknown.

But it is a long road to get it right and I hope I'm not distracted to start taking normal pics of mainly obvious subjects.

cheers

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Arith,

Did you capture these with the camera oriented horizontally or vertically?
    It is horizontal 3 across but vertical would be better, just harder. It is then seriously cropped to try for as near 16:9 as possible.

I figured I needed the river to close you in on both sides, anyway I like the river.

Real Name
    Steve

Well, this one makes you cross eyed.

lanscape burton uk

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Well, this one makes you cross eyed.

lanscape burton uk

I think this view/composition works much better but I agree that it causes a little bit of vertigo to looks at it

To me it looks like it may be a little bit tilted toward right, at least parts of the picture. The other one has the same problem, or may be my monitor is tilted?
    Last edited by Alis; 28th October 2009 at 06:48 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

I can't do the vertical perspective thing without a pair of vertical lines. But I didn't want to do all this, 25 images into four vertical frames and it did need about 20. The original is 16 megabytes and I've been on it four hours.

It is a lot of work for something that might not work.

Real Name
    Steve

The only straight things are the rail steps and chair, these are lined up on a grid but I had a look at correcting vertical perspective and it does indeed look straighter, although the trees look like it will fall in on top of you.

Real Name
    Steve

I bent it against my better judgement. I don't suppose quality matters to much in this. I can't tell much difference even though the tops been pulled out wider the bottom pushed in and then bent over a barrel.
    Is it better; the aspect ratio has suffered?

lanscape burton uk