Thread: Run

Real Name
    Sam

Run

Went to go get pictures of my competitive soccer team today. I am out injured so I thought this would be another great way to support them. This was the other team's defence so I got her alone while running. Shot this with my Cannon 40D and my 70-200 f2.8 lens. Do you think it looks pixelated???????. Please let me know. I am still learning and just got my new camara a day ago.

Run

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Run

Sam

One thing to think about when photographing sports such as soccer is to always ensure that the ball is in the picture.

If you were viewing this image instead of being the person who took the photograph, would you know what was happening? You would maybe guess that it was to do with sport, as the person is dressed in sports clothing. But would you know which sport? Would you know why she seems to be looking slightly over to her right, as if something is happening over there?

These are points to thinkl abotu when photographing sports.

The other thing to look out for is keeping the image level. As you can see, the surround to the playing area is sl;oping up to teh right. Now, I'm sure you don't play your soccer on a hill like that. So, unless you are exaggerating the angles for artistic effect, then you need to have the picture level.

I hope these comments do help your learning. You have a great opportunity to to make some good action pictures. Keep practicing.

Real Name
    Sam

It was on an angle because I had to stay on my teams bench and I couldnt keep goint back and forth to get it straight on.
    Thank you for the suggestions, I am going to try them next game. I will post more that I took too.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by sambam View Post
    It was on an angle because I had to stay on my teams bench and I couldnt keep goint back and forth to get it straight on.
    Thank you for the suggestions, I am going to try them next game. I will post more that I took too.
    Sam

I hope you don't mind me doing this, but this is how it looks with the image straightened and a slightly tighter crop applied to make it a 5:7 ratio image. I think it does make a positive difference.

Run

Real Name
    Sam

That looks good. How did you straighten it?
    And I am going to post another soccer pic. Will you let me know how it looks?
    Thanks for everything.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That looks good. How did you straighten it? .
    Sam

This is, obviously, done in post-processing. I think almost all post-processing software packages have a tool called 'Rotate' or 'Rotation'. This is what you use.

Real Name
    Sam

Yea I found it. Just couldnt see it before

Real Name
    John

Hi Sam,
    Donald has given some very good advice. I like the subject matter so please keep at it.
    You asked if your pictures look pixilated and my answer is yes. I would guess it's the format you are saving your picture; are you saving the picture as a 'low res' JPEG?

Thanks for sharing and learning with us all.
    Kind regards
    John

Edit:
    Does this look better or worse on your screen; I tried reducing the pixilation.

Run

Just for Donald.

Run
    Last edited by JPS; 28th January 2013 at 09:09 PM.

Real Name
    John

Went to go get pictures of my competitive soccer team today. I am out injured so I thought this would be another great way to support them. This was the other team's defence so I got her alone while running. Shot this with my Cannon 40D and my 70-200 f2.8 lens. Do you think it looks pixelated???????. Please let me know. I am still learning and just got my new camara a day ago.

It does look a bit pixelated, are you shooting with a high ISO or low resolution?

Run

Real Name
    Richard

Here is a YouTube video by Scott Kelby with some sports pointers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ4KsGYDzgU

One pointer stressed in the video is if it is a ball game you are shooting, try to include the ball. This has also been mentioned by Donald and others...

As an example.IMO this is a more interesting image...
    Run

Than this one because you can see the polo ball in the first image...
    Run

Real Name
    TJ

Good advice here I think. Never thought about the ball needing to be in the photo but it seems elementary now that I hear it. Thanks.
    I enjoy shooting my kids sports but haven't took the plunge for that 70-200 2.8 just yet but soon! Got this of my girl but had to crop heavy and shot from a bad angle in the seats but its a keeper for me. Run